Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I was lookiong at upgrading the performance of my 93 ext 550 EFI. Black Magic sells performance chips for $179. There site list 3 available blue, yellow etc. So my question is does anybody what the difference between them is? Also, would need to pipe the sled as well or can I just install the chip. What kind of performance should I expect from it. On another note does anybody know what the horsepower was on this sled from the factury?

·
Registered
708 Posts
the best thing to do would be to call black magic and ask them what they say!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I believe the colors are for identifying which chip is in your sled. Like the newer EFI sleds which use a circle, triangle, or square. Look at the chip in your sled their should be a red, yellow, or blue mark up near one of the corners. When you figure out what color the stock chip has you know which chip to order. Still I would contact Tim Berg at Black Magic he has been very helpfull to me in the past.

e-mail [email protected] or call 218-681-1150

·
Registered
205 Posts
There should be a round colored dot (sticker) on the control box. You need to order the same color. I installed one (Black Magic chip) on my 95 580 ext efi. The sled isn't piped, but is clutched. Personally I didn't notice much change.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Arctic 600 right, you would really need to pipe it along with the re-mapped chip. I had one of these sleds. Out of the box its probably mid 80 HP. A chip alone will only really take out the safety margin of the mapping. I did the same thing to a 98 ZR 600 pipe and chip, but from D&D, when it was running, it was super strong. However, the chip would hick-up often at about 7,000 rpm, act like it was dying out. (intermittent problem) Really the best advise I can give is leave it alone, optimize your clutching, gearing, and or swap for a taller lug track for better acceleration, and just ride it like a rental.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts