Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to snowmobiling and getting my 1989 Polaris Indy Trail ready for the season. I'm very excited. I had the machine over on its side to take out the rear suspension when replacing the slides, and I bought a new oil filter, too. I have read the procedure in the manual about bleeding the oil pump, but I'm not sure if you're supposed to bleed it while it is running or when using the pull cord? I feel silly asking, but better safe than sorry. How do you bleed your oil pump, and while I'm at it, how often do you change your oil filter?

Thanks!

Mark.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You don't have to start the engine. Just unscrew the bolt on the pump and let leak the oil till your shure that there is no air left. If you changed the filter make sure that all the air is out of it by putting it vertical while bleeding. After this is all done what I like to do is to start the engine and pull by hand or with something the oil pump lever to the full open posision and let the engine run idle for a few mitnutes. Like that im shure that ther's also no air left in the line between the pump and the engine.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If ever there is any doubt about the oil pump system, I run a 75:1 or so fuel/oil mix until I see that I am using a proper ratio of oil to gas (and take it somewhat easy on the motor). I also do this as standard procedure at the beginning of every season just to make sure there are no problem with pump, oil left sitting, or anything else after storage.

It doesn't hurt to change that filter each year - in fact I think it is recommended. I know that I often neglect mine without problems. I do tend to get a bit anal about what gets into the oil reservoir though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts