Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
first make sure the brake fluid reservoir is full of fluid then look on the caliper for the bleed jet or screw and loosen it 1/2 -3/4 turn and squeeze the brake lever slowly {super slow}. the fluid will squirt out of the bleed screw and the reason for slow on the lever is because you want to contain the brake fluid from squirting all over, get it in to a container because it takes paint off. when you have squeezed the brake lever to the bar then hold it there and tighten the bleeder screw, when you have done that let the brake lever back out super slow because sometimes the air in the lines will come back and splash brake fluid out of the reservoir. repeat this procedure until you notice no more air coming out of the bleeder screw but before each repeat make sure there is fluid in the reservoir. once you notice no more air then try the brake lever without loosening the bleeder screw to see how it feels. it will only take 2-3 times unless you totally took everything apart.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts

yeah, what Paul said.  The only thing I could add, is that I got a small diameter piece of tubing, which would tightly slip over the nipple, then routed it into a jar.

This way, you don't have to worry about catching the fluid.

FishHog

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
ole fishhog comes through again that is something that i never thought of.  

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Hey I'm not just a pretty face.

Actually, I'm not even a pretty face.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Since its about the most important component on your sled safety wise, if theres any doubt as to your ability to bleed them properly take it to a pro and pay the couple of bucks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
How often should you change the fluid on your brake?

I never done this before, how do you tell there is no more air coming out? Is it just something I have to do and I'll know when I see it?

·
Registered
282 Posts
The bottle trick works great. I think I'm going to replace my fluid this year for the heck of it. Another method that works good is to just gravity bleed it. Take off the reservoir cover, make sure its full and put your tube on the bleeder, put it in a bottle and open it about 3/4 of a turn or so and it will bleed itself. Let it drain for a while and add fresh fluid as needed. Tighten up the bleeder and put your cover back on and your done. I like this method only because it's not as messy.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
To those, that in spite of having no knowlege of how to bleed their brakes but will giv'er a try, please post what trails during what hours you ride. Thank You.  

·
Registered
6 Posts
While your're all at it drain the system and add your self some feel and power with a braided line and aluminum fittings,sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet :D

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
steimy,
i'm told every year to change the brake fluid although i have never done it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts