Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi blew my sled up today 1995 indy 500 fresh engine last winter only 180 miles had it bored out 40 over worked like a charm cranked it up today got it at 90 miles an hour held it there for a short time and ouch just died no noise or anything just like shutting off kill switch checked compression 60 clutch side 80 mag side had her warmed up real good been driving for about one hour before it blew up any ideas going to take it apart tonight i hope dealer that done the job for me last year will give me some kind of waranty plugs are a nice tan color still seems to pull over good. ????????????????? any reply would be appriciated thank guys.

·
Registered
644 Posts
My initial thought would be that possibly the tolerances might be a bit close and the engine needed to "wear in" just a bit more. Ring and cylinder tolerances could easily have caused those parts to have seized and scored the cylinders or perhaps broken rings. That's assuming the ports were properly chamfered and didn't catch the rings. It does sound like there could also have been a heat issue if both sides went together- judging from the compression loss.

There are other possibilities too. A look inside ought to tell some things. I would almost doubt that a dealer would warranty the work when you ran it like that with such low miles/time on the rebuild. Doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My initial thought would be that possibly the tolerances might be a bit close and the engine needed to "wear in" just a bit more. Ring and cylinder tolerances could easily have caused those parts to have seized and scored the cylinders or perhaps broken rings. That's assuming the ports were properly chamfered and didn't catch the rings. It does sound like there could also have been a heat issue if both sides went together- judging from the compression loss.

There are other possibilities too. A look inside ought to tell some things. I would almost doubt that a dealer would warranty the work when you ran it like that with such low miles/time on the rebuild. Doesn't hurt to ask.[/b]
hi guess what tried starting the sled tonight and bingo fired right up i do not understand checked compression again after it was warmed up and ???? 110 both sides i am just using a walmart job tommorow i am going to the dealer to get his tester and see what happens i am wondering if the coil got hot or is it fuel everthing else seems ok i am happy now i will have to go try it out again tommorow but i wont hold it wfo just burst of trottle and i will let you guys know what's going on wish me luck. thanks.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Check the carbs, make sure all the rubber mounting on the carbs and stuff is all tight and secure, check for cracking etc , and clean them out.... make sure the coils are all hooked up good, grounds secure etc..... Its hard to say what might have cause the issue..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Could be rings.

Something similar happed to a friend of mine.

Did you fog your engine for summer storage? Or put a little oil down the cylinders.

If you did not rings may be your problem.

Good idea to put a little oil down the cylinders the first time you start the sled for the season to get rings/cylinders/pistons lubed.

I would put a little oil down each cylinder anyway even if you are back up to 110psi, give her a few pulls without the plugs in and give it a go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts