Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just grenaded his 02' ZR600 EFI, he had just replaced the power valve cables and is now thinking he may not have adjusted them properly. It looks like the valve may have been to far into the cylinder and caught the piston on the stater side of the engine. I am just wondering if anyone knows the proper adjustment for the power valve cables? He also scored the jug pretty good, is he better off to replace the entire jug or just have it re-sleeved? Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
10,054 Posts
your not gonna resleeve the cylinder,,, you may have it renicked somewhere,, but dont sleeve it. Can you run a fingernail across it and get into a gouge?? If not, you may get away with a simple diamond hone and be ok. As for the power valves,,, my first question is were they put in the right way?? They will fit both ways, but one way is correct and the other way ruins pistons,,, sounds to me like that may have been the problem.

As for setting them,,, I dont have the specs on them here, but with a manual, you can see what the correct length of them is and then set it that way,,, not hard to do at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are pretty sure the valves are installed the right way. He purchased the sled towards the end of season last year and it had a bog, the dealer said it had been all looked over but when he inspected it this summer he found the origional cables were broke, he did not remove the valve from the housing, he only removed the cover and re-installed the cable. There are 2 guages about 1/2" to 3/4" apart right in the center of the exhaust ports deep enough to lose your finger nail in, the top of the piston on the exhaust side was completely destroyed. So you Can not resleeve the jug or it is suggested to not resleeve? would it be cheaper to purchase a new jug or have the old jug re-nickled? Thanks for your help in advance

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
You have to take the valves out to replace the cable

I have the same sled

·
10,054 Posts
resleeving it will only beg for problems later on,,,, get it renicked,, I have always had millenium technologies do mine, quality work and very timely. Get it done soon before you hit the season,,, could take a little longer in season.
I say get 2 new pistons,,, I like the idea of changing both at the same time,,, you could keep the other as a spare. I had always ran nothing but stock but I am trying some I picked up from JRGraham (cant find the name of them to save my butt right now, not kimpex or wiseco),,, I did some research on them this summer and they appear to be pretty good pistons,,, lots of people run them with good luck and when I can get 2 of them for the price of one stock one,,, its a no brainer.
There is a chance that it had nothing to do with the power valve,,, it could be a broken circlip, ring, etc....
what does the power valve look like,,, pull it and look at the end. when you pull it out, note which direction the half moon shape (end of the power vavle) faces,,, is it facing the rear of the sled, or is it facing the ground?? Are they both in the same way, or is one facing the ground and the other facing the rear of the sled.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I had always ran nothing but stock but I am trying some I picked up from JRGraham (cant find the name of them to save my butt right now, not kimpex or wiseco),,, I did some research on them this summer and they appear to be pretty good pistons,,, lots of people run them with good luck and when I can get 2 of them for the price of one stock one,,, its a no brainer.

SPI Sports Parts International ?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Konig???

what does the power valve look like,,, pull it and look at the end. when you pull it out, note which direction the half moon shape (end of the power vavle) faces,,, is it facing the rear of the sled, or is it facing the ground?? Are they both in the same way, or is one facing the ground and the other facing the rear of the sled.[/b]
The 600s do not have the same exhaust as the 500s,700s,800s,90ss and the F6 600s

here is a pic of the 600 valves
they are 4 piece

Attachments

·
10,054 Posts
spi's are the pistons I picked up,,, and when I was talking about the power valves,,, they are the same,,, they have an angle on the end of them. If you put the valve in one way the angle on the end will point down towards the ground. If you put it in the other way, the angle will point towards the motor. Call it a bevel (sp) if you will.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
huh ?????

·
10,054 Posts
Sorry freeze,,, aint trying to mess with you, but I aint going out and pulling them out to take pics right now LOL

Imagine looking at a piece of paper (as if your reading writing on it),,, the top of the paper is where your cable hooks into and you can then slide that paper (power valve) into the cylinder,,,
well the bottom of your paper is not straight (90 degree angle) one side of the paper will be longer than the other side based on the bottom not coming to a 90 degree angle. If you slide that paper in the cylinder one way, the short side would face the engine,,, when putting it in the other way the short side would face the front of the sled (away from the engine).
I know, crazy way to try to explain what I was saying,,, but if that is put in wrong, the piston can hit the power valve,,, but if it is put in the correct way (not backwards) there should be no way for the piston to hit the power valve.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I understand what you mean

been there done that with my 583 put them in wrong side up and tic tic tic when I ran the sled

But there is no way of putting the round 4 piece valves of the 600 wrong side up,the plate that holds them only goes one way

·
10,054 Posts
so I have an oopsy,,, I didnt realize that there was a 4 piece valve in there. I believe I assumed (and we know what that does) that the power valves in his sled was just like mine. On mine, you can have the cover mounted correctly but the power valve in backwards,,,,

·
Registered
3 Posts
so I have an oopsy,,, I didnt realize that there was a 4 piece valve in there. I believe I assumed (and we know what that does) that the power valves in his sled was just like mine. On mine, you can have the cover mounted correctly but the power valve in backwards,,,,[/b]
same thing happened to my 02 600 zr.. blown piston.. I just got it back from the shop.. 15 miles later.. kaboom.. the starter side piston is toast.. I had them clean the valves and change the boots.. just brought it back to the shop today.. not sure if what they are going to say but the engine looks clean, and the other piston also looks clean.. the blown one is black and is basically crumbled. nothing left of it.. I'm thinking they may have messed it up when they cleaned the valves

1 - 13 of 13 Posts