Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 1996 zr 580 efi. i have rebuilt the motor. took it for a drive and worked great. took it for a drive yesterday and worked good until it warmed up, then started bogging.had no power and would barely lug itself. idles great. if it sits for awile not running,then start it up to drive it works good for about fifteen minutes then acts up again.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
i own a 1996 zr 580 efi. i have rebuilt the motor. took it for a drive and worked great. took it for a drive yesterday and worked good until it warmed up, then started bogging.had no power and would barely lug itself. idles great. if it sits for awile not running,then start it up to drive it works good for about fifteen minutes then acts up again.[/b]

the first thing that pops into my head would be a stator issue .but by not being there, a lot of things can be overlooked . get it warm and test your stator when it cuts out .M

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does it run good at a certain rpm? or mph? Or just boggy all the time at any speed?[/b]
it runs perfect until it gets warmed up , then at about half throttle it starts bogging,then does not run good at all.always runs good until you give more than half throttle,then boggs.if you let it sit until it cools a bit,start it up,then the same thing.idles great.

·
Registered
980 Posts
That is souding like a bad stator. You bypassed the TSS (throttle safety switch) already though, right? I recently aquired a 95 EFI stator along with some parts I need. Brown's can tell you if the part numbers are the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it runs perfect until it gets warmed up , then at about half throttle it starts bogging,then does not run good at all.always runs good until you give more than half throttle,then boggs.if you let it sit until it cools a bit,start it up,then the same thing.idles great.[/b]
yes i did bypass the tss switch, that was not it.i am getting somebody to check the stator. thanks. if that is not it any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
yes i did bypass the tss switch, that was not it.i am getting somebody to check the stator. thanks. if that is not it any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.[/b]
how do you check the stator ???? i would like to know thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
i own a 1996 zr 580 efi. i have rebuilt the motor. took it for a drive and worked great. took it for a drive yesterday and worked good until it warmed up, then started bogging.had no power and would barely lug itself. idles great. if it sits for awile not running,then start it up to drive it works good for about fifteen minutes then acts up again.[/b]
sounds like the problem i had with my zrt it was the stator

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds like the problem i had with my zrt it was the stator[/b]
thanks for th input, but found out what it was. plugged fuel filter, cleaned it, now runs just like a new one. going to run it hard while i can, i know the fun will be over in a short time!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just have to check your firing order, if you have lots of fire nothing wrong with it.[/b]
well, guess that was not what it was.still running bad. oh well i guess it is running just like a cat should,not at all.very dicouraged with this snowmobile. :slick:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
1/2 of a bottle of fuel injector cleaner would't hurt. :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1/2 of a bottle of fuel injector cleaner would't hurt. :wink:[/b]
thanks,it did make a difference.going to change the drive belt, see if that makes a difference,also going hook it on a computer, see what that tells me.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Did anyone say to check and tighten all the ground connections? If only starts to act up once the engine is good and hot, work fine once it cools down and then acts up a little while later, then that is classic symptoms of stator failure. You need to do resistance checks on the coil to see if the ohms are with in spec, and I would think you'd need to do that when it is acting up. There are threads on other sites, if this one doesn't have them, that will tell you the ohm specs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have not found stator specs let me know and I will get you whatever you need. I have a 96 EFI manual... Email ?[/b]
that sounds great. thanks.we are now thinking it is the fuel pump. on my way to buy one today.try that later. the sled is going to be just about brand new by time i am done. hoping to get at least one good ride before the season is over. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that sounds great. thanks.we are now thinking it is the fuel pump. on my way to buy one today.try that later. the sled is going to be just about brand new by time i am done. hoping to get at least one good ride before the season is over. :)[/b]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what about the light on the side of the compputer also how do ya check the crank sensor[/b]
im not sure on how you check the crank sensor, but what do you mean about the light on the side of the computer. do you mean whether or not it is on or off.if so what does the mean. explain please! the damn thing is still doing the same. is not the stator.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts