Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks for some great info in your posts...i have an intermitant problem..great bottom..looses at full throttle and...lites go on and off here and there (all lites) stator??...bad wiring or plug wires.???...dpm????? i ride a 98 summit 670x and it looks bad when 570 yammies pass me!!!! thanx...Brian

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Check the wiring harness that passes over the engine MAG side and under the recoil starter. Remove the wire from inside the black plastic conduit. I've seen a lot of bare wires rubbed through there and when snow dust melts and leaves water on them strange things happen. The voltage regulator ground sometimes corrodes too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the reply TD!!!!.....will chk out all harness this weekend...sled is new to me and i have only been on one ride......gonna pull carbs and clean/chk jets (340/350) and i have already serviced RAVE......will get new plugs too....seem to burn more fuel and oil than everyone else........is there any probs eliminating oil inj. and just premix and keep res for rotary valve???.....we ride between 4000-7000 ft and clutch is set at #3 position (havent chkd ramp/pin #s)...sled does pull hard and problem is intermitant (more bad then good) especially when hill climbin :cussing: ......thanx again for your time all..........Brian

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The other troublesome area on the X is the 44 MM carbs. They tend to flood side hilling and on extreme angles. Set the float level (18.1 MM) on the low side of the spec and turn off the fuel petcock whenever you stop so the floats don't over flow. Switchig to pre mix is fine and just get an oil reservoir kit from a MXzx 440.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 98 Summit X as well. Had what sounds like the same problem a couple of years ago. We went throug everythng with no luck. One day on the way back into town after stopping for a break the sled would not start. No spark. Turns out that the stator was the root of the problem all along. I posted a PDF last year on testing your stator. It was pinned at the top of this forum. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:christmas:
i thank you both for your replys again.......started chkn things out today...said ta heck with it...pulled motor out to completely chk all wiring!!!...gonna clean er all up.......do carbs...air pump....and chk out some components.......will the electrical pdf instructions work for the 670??? noticed it was for 700s etc......i guess if all chks out mite have to change stator........or will have to take to dealer and get reflashed or whatever they think they might have ta do (for 95/hr lol)...will keep you all posted with progress starting tommorow with the cleaning......thanx all..Brian

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Attached is everything you wanted to know about Summit X electrical but were afraid to ask:

[attachment=40512:670_X_electrical.doc]

Just print the schematics and tape them end to end to simplify diagnose.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:rolleyes: :christmas:
Thank you TD great info...on my way to the garage rite now....will post later...thanx again..Bri

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi all again......heres the latest...yesterday...got her all cleaned up (chassis looks like new!!) and startred chkn things out......found air pump no good (bad chk valves) shorted brake lite switch..(it didnt work) and a loose tab insde the DESS key!!!!!!!....havnt chkd chassis wiring thoughly yet....quick look..appears ok but gonna chk good!!!! (all apart now!!).......chkd ohms on ign coil....12.0..appears ok accordin to specs sheet...lots to chk still..(thanx TD for the info!!!!).......
today....went to dealer to get some stuff.......no kit for air pump...only complete!!!!...214.00.....no way.....will try and find chk valves in a mikuni fuel pump!!!!!...wanted new DESS key and took MPEM and asked for new key and flash.....needed sled reggy.....dumb me dont have one....half day later...got the reggy....go to ICBC agnt to transfer...they wont do it....need to go to motor vehicle office....crap...closed now.....oh well....got brake lite switch...45.00....ouch...at least i mite get brake lites....gonna go and do a little more tanite...will post again later.....thanx again all for input...(wish dealer was that nice!!!!)....happy postings....Brian

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
If your really stuck I have a spare air pump. While your enjoying the fun with dealers, check the attached recall out. Also attached is some more issues that may relate to you air pump malfuction with the X.

Enjoy !!!

[attachment=40571:Summit_X_recall.doc][attachment=40572:98_Summi..._air_jet.doc]

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SWRules
TD...once again..uuurr da man........lol...where u get this stuff!!!!.....seem to got air pump repaired..used chk valves from mikuni dual fuel pump....they look similar..at least i cant blow back on supply line now..will find out when firin up!!!...couple more wire harness rubs were found....buddy said he mite have harness from same sled ..maybe it will be better......gonna chk clutch out too when i get back.......any suggestions on this aspect????......bein an auto/marine tech....these clutches are a bit different to me but im sure they are not rocket science to set up properly........will post again soon...have ta go outa town for some work training for a couple of dayz but hope to be back at the sled fri nite...thanx all......Brian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[attachment=40700:100_0757.jpg]
ok...back at it...got back to work on the sled on sat nite...changed all wire harness .........got great lookin harness from buddy.....he even had brake lite switch.....savin me 44.00 dolllars from dealer...lol..will help pay for flashin i guess...now the good part....found bare yellow wire rubbin tunnel under tank!!!!...cause of my headaches???....i guess ill find out.....took carbs apart..all good....proper jets (340/350)....chkd clutc......no bad wear or broken pieces....tied wiring good.....put on new fuel line...bypassed oil inj... (left jug and hoses for rotary)........fired her up...sounded great..ready for ride!!!!...went out for rip on sunday..ran strong for most part...still have to jiggle DESS key every start up and seem to run outa fuel under long demands...(weak fuel pump??)....air pump works now and had no trouble with lites or electrical....sled pulled real hard and is 100 times better than last ride........so gonna go to dealer and get new key and reflash and im gonna chk fuel pump/lines again and i hope to have er all 100%+ by next ride (i hope)...........happy postin all and will keep ya all updated...Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
glad to hear that you have gotten most of that stuff worked out. I also have a 98 summit 670x and am having some trouble with the air pump. The problem is it's pumping gas to the DPM rail instead of air. This is causing a very rich condition if I leave the enrichment selenoid hooked up. When I disconnect the enrichment selenoid it runs pretty good. Was your air pump pumping gas? Do you know if the compensation part of the DPM will work if I disconnect the air pump? thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts