Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year we messed around all afternoon working our way in to a town to buy a bolt for my rear suspension, that I had lost out on the trail. This year I decided to be prepared. I looked up all the bolt sizes for my FZ-670 suspension, and went out and bought one of ea. and a nylock nut. Next i polished up a piece of aluminum angle, and drilled holes in it for each size bolt. I then bolted this bolt rack under the hood to the frame right above the right foot well.  Now I have a rolling hardware store..... You may want to build one, its easy and cheap to do... FYI..DooZ...  

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here it is, bolted in to the sled, ...OH..... you can get all your bolt sizes off the HLSM microfiche web site... thanks DooZ

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
You learn something everyday
Great idea DooZ

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Now all you need is a coffee machine and a Belgain waffle maker on that sled.LOL  

Good idea.My buddy lost 2 bolts on his 2-up Cougar.The rearend was all the way down.We limped it to a restaurant,rode 20 miles back to get the trailer.It could have been worse,at least the sled could go under its own power.Otherwise we would have put a tabbogan under the sled and towed it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
How long did it take you to polish that cahincase DooZ? Looks sweet!
       Ryan

·
Registered
221 Posts
On my machines I have a Power Madd storage box with a supply of parts mounted on the drive belt guard. Here are a couple of more items to add to your list.
=Steering rod's- They fit nicely under the exhaust with a tie wrap holding it in place.
=Tie rod ends- Carry 2- left and right sides. Any one every go for a ride and clip a stump or  something and bust the steering arm or tie-rod end? I have and its no fun with no steering!
=Spark plug caps. These things are the cause of more heartaches than almost anything else out  there!
=Carb needle e-clip. Watched a guy in the moutains try and change his needle setting. Then lost  the clip.
=A small peice of cloth. Here we run in extreme temps. They can change 20 degrees in an hour  or so, espicially if running the river. Some people jet to the edge and then it turns colder. burrr!  Rather than change jets in -35 or colder weather put the cloth over your air intake. It'll restrict  air flow a few jet sizes depending on thickness.
These little kits we carry can be invaluable at times. And its just small stuff. Any one else out there have ideas for other items?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Choko also makes a soft side pouch for mounting to the belt guard. I put one on my MXZ this season. I don't think the Powermadd one would fit, beacuse clearance is very tight to the hood.

Ryan, you've got all summer to polish your chaincase cover

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ryan, you can buff up that chaincase cover in no time at all. When I had it off to change the chaincase oil, I just ran it on the buffing wheel with some red rouge buffing compound, and it buffs up nice and easy in 20 minutes or so. You don't have to spend as much time on the bottom half (no one see's it down in the sled). I buffed the exhaust pipe covers, belt guard, and the top of the carbs while I was at it, I get a lot of great comments on it, and some flak from the guys I ride with!! So that's why I had to buff up the bolt rack before installing it.... thanks DooZ........

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
just recently i said that i won't read a post i don't like. you guys are scaring me with all these extra parts and tools so much to the point i took along my tool pouch and a complete 1/4-3/8 socket set with me last weekend.

now the belgian waffle maker has to stay at the motel i only have a one up sled.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Why doo you need a belgian waffle maker? I though the pipe was there for that  

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
ac,
 yes you have a pipe for the belgian waffle maker, but i still have a one up sled and she isn't riding with me.  
 LOL

·
Registered
858 Posts
Oh, I get it  
you were taking about the beer bringer, sorry if I'm a bit slow  

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Great idea Dooz!  When I went to stud my machine last month I noticed that my front shock bolt broke causing my shock to rip up my track!  
 Now I make sure I check everything and bring bolts with.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Skid Jackson, here is a post I did about a bolt rack we were talking about, that I did a year ago. Hope this helps... DooZ.... ;)

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
and the belgian waffle maker still looks great one year later, last summer she had on a bikini.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i have never lost a bolt out riding :D ;) unfortunately i have never lost a nut niether :( ??? :angry: :devil:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts