Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bombardier oil has just went up in price in my area. It goes for around $28.00 for a 4 litre jug (1.06 Gal). I can buy Castrol Super Snowmobile Oil at the local Wal-Mart for $13.97 for a 4 litre jug. We all know that Castrol makes Doo oil. My question is what do they put in the Doo stuff to make it double the price of the Castrol. They both meet all the same requirements, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
624 Posts
*Scratchin' head* Damn,, if Castrol makes Bombardier oil what difference do you think there COULD be?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Could it be the yellow cap on the 'doo jug?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
They are different colors,and the doo oil definately stinks more ;) I've been using castrol in the wifes 380 with over
10,000km and not a prob.

·
Registered
343 Posts
A freind of mine said the same thing and has put several miles on his sled , he has a 94 formula st 470 cc motor in it and the last I looked it had 8900 miles on it and I think his been running it for about 5-6000 miles no problems . For me I perfered to run synthetic as long as its broke in , I swear buy it , like a noticabile performance and fuel economy increase. I have used castrol syntech which you can buy at canadian tire for 55 dollars a case of 6 . Or you could use the bomby brand [xp synthetic] and they charge me 120 for a case [ 3x4liter jugs ] in dryden ontario doo dealer. :inlove: :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Your rite the Bomby Synthetic Oil is outragous as well. By me it's $35-38 per 4 liter jug. :cussing: I'm only going to use Bomby Synthetic oil until my sled is past it's breakin period. Then i'm probably going to use AMSIOL!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your not suppose to break your sled in with synthetic oil. You should use regular oil for the first 300 miles. Then after the motor is broken in you can switch to synthetic :angry:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've used Castrol Super Snowmobile Oil on my MXZ's for the last 5 years with no problems. Find a Costco out there is is even cheaper, $29Can for three 4l jugs!.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thats where i get the castrol for the wifes sled blue.Costco did pi$$ me off when they stopped selling that big thing of pickeled eggs.It was like $11 for 100 pickeled eggs :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
at a shop in nh they are selling the reg bombi oil for $15 a gallon i dont think that is too bad.....never gums up the raves!!!!forget about the synthetic bombi oil unless money is not an object.(would be very nice)

·
Registered
720 Posts
If it doesn't say API-TC on the label, don't use it. Avoid the tcw oils unless they also have the api-tc rating. This is doo's rotax's recomendation for non-doo oil, read your owners manual. Castrol probably has 50 different 2 stroke oils in the wordwide market and probably blends for 50 different companys. One cannot assume they are all the same blend. Most oils have gone somewhat "multi-use" and are using ashless dispersants have eliminated brightstock additives because of the residue. Rotax has spent $$$ testing oils for their motors, they admit that they have not found a "bad" oil but insist that ash and brightstock are still the best way to go and have (castrol) blend this way for them. Thus the api-tc spec. which is basically an aircooled spec. Rotax claims that routine maintence of the raves and piston crowns is worth the added lubrication and wear protection. So when someone brags of a squeeky clean oil.............?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hillpounder,

It meets requirements calling for "API service TC and NMMA TC-W3 specs." It's also a "high detergent low ash forming 2-stroke lubricant." So it would seem that it meets all Doo's requirements. Thanks for all the comments.

z800rtx,

You gotta love those pickeled eggs :inlove:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts