Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to book my flights for January, February and March.............................do you think the snow will fly in those months? I can't beat the ound trip tickets of $60.00 round trip

·
Registered
739 Posts
Liqiud, I think last year was an odd one. We went up to the U.P. towards the end of January for our "Big Trip" and the snow was pretty scarce. that was on the west side(Michigammee/Baraga area). When we went back up to Newberry a couple times in Feb. the snow was much better. This year I moved our trip into Feb. just to be safe. Then we usually go up a couple more times for long weekends and I just plan those on a whim.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'd second the Feb. dates. Pretty safe.

AL

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have gotten some of my best rides in around the end of December/January..  Snow seems to come in heavier at those times..  

Great if you like deep powder!

·
Registered
74 Posts
If your planning on riding near the lake effect belts, early lake effect showers are more dense and plentiful when the lakes are cooling.  (Warmer) with cold air passing over them.  So more lake effect fluffy snow falls earlier in the season.  The heavier snowfalls from cold weather systems seem to be more prevelant later in the season, but this is just a general guideline.  Anytime after Jan1st is a pretty good time.  Check out JohnDee.com for weather forcasts.

Last year was so weird however that my friend and I opted to stay home a couple of weekends that we had schedules for "LONG 4 day" weekend trips.  We ended up not deciding whether we could go until the last minute.  One weekend I wasn't "sure" so we rode up seperately.  It turned out a huge lake effect storm hit the area where we ride and dumped 54 inches of snow in 3 days. . . some said even more.  It was so fluffy that about 2 to 3 feet of it settled over a couple of days and the riding was challenging and almost unridable.  Fun deep powder stuff. . . it was a blast.

Anyway, hopefully this year won't be as strange as the last, where literally every other day could offer great or terrible riding.  We just resolved to travel where ever the snow seemed the nicest and stayed in the Mackinaw area.  Staying in that area allows easy access to the UP and lower michigan riding.

Greg

·
Registered
664 Posts
A normal winter usually has big snow by x-mas, I go every year the day after for the last 5 years. Last year was tghe worst but still wasn't that horrific, Grand Marais had 3-4 ft. Munising had 12-15 inches the snow was very localized but still plenty of riding.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Went a few times last year, March turned out to be the best.  

Where are you finding flights for $60??

We are planning a family trip (4 tickets) out to Colorado.  I can't seem to get below $200.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts