Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading this forum for a while , I have to say this place is great !!
One subject I haven't seen is on boots and clothing. I am new to this sport and been riding around the house in carharts and sorel boots (not good).
I'm looking at boots right now ,what temp rating do you want ? How high and what brand? I can order Lacross at work.
I have a trip to the U.P. coming up and want to be warm !!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't think there is a too warm when you are on a sled. Your feet are probably the hardest to keep warm of everything.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I wear Rockys, rated to -100F, but I don't know of anyone who has been in temps that cold to test them :D ...I would recommend the Rockys...have a removable liner, gore-tex in them, lightweight and comfortable. If not the Rockys, the LaCrosse (Ice Kings I think) look like a very similar boot.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Originally posted by zrgreen@Dec 3 2002, 08:42 PM
I wear Rockys, rated to -100F, but I don't know of anyone who has been in temps that cold to test them :D ...I would recommend the Rockys...have a removable liner, gore-tex in them, lightweight and comfortable. If not the Rockys, the LaCrosse (Ice Kings I think) look like a very similar boot.
Another notch for Rocky's. They are the best boot you can buy. They're waterproof and are very warm. They are well worth the initial cost.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Believe it or not, there is such a thing as a too-warm boot! My partner's 15yo son gets such hot feet (he's a really hot-blooded kid!) that when we stop for a break his socks are soaked! If that is your case, make sure you get boots with removeable liners. You don't want to go out with wet boots in the morning.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies... I didn't know if -100 was "too warm" for sledding. I was also thinking about boot height ? Walking in 24" of snow to dig out my kids sled probley taller the better?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think most boots are all about the same height...except for snowboarding boots which seem cut a little shorter. I would guess my Rockys are about 12" tall, but I've never had a problem getting snow in them...they cinch tight, plus my bibs velcro shut at the base. I would recommend you look in any of the online catalogs for snow boots...Dennis Kirk, Shade Tree, even Cabelas..at least you can see the different styles,weights,prices etc.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I myself and most of my buddies wear LaCross Ice Kiings. They're big but warm. We all love them. I have had frostbit feet before so my feet get cold in a hurry. They have never been cold in these boots. Make sure you get some polypropylene sock liners. That way if your feet sweat, it keeps the moisture off your skin. For that matter I wear all poly underwear etc. Thats the first layer. Works great because I'm a sweater when we're riding hard and we do alot of all day and night rides.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Can't get boots that are too warm if you ask me. But my feet are always cold.

Just remember, temp ratings on boots are not based on being at rest. I don't remember exactly, but it under a "moderate work load" where you will be generating heat.

Sometimes we do that on sleds, but some of the long lake runs, your not doing much, but getting cold.

I also vote for polypropylene. Great stuff, if you tend to sweat.

FishHog

·
Registered
101 Posts
what about snowboard type boots? are you an agressive rider? seems like some people had good things to say about the hmk boots. i have lacrosse boots, great for icefishing, but i find they can actually be too warm-if i ride hard, i tend to get hot. then if my feet get sweaty they get cold.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I wore Lacrosse Icemans (-80 rating) for years. Very warm but a little on the clumbsy side. I switched to Trukke boots (-40 rating). They're very light weight and reasonably warm for all but extreme temps. I still have my Icemans for those days.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Another for Rocky's! I have the 12" Snow Stalker Extreme's...they are 11's. Make sure you get a boot that has some breathing room. I bought the boots a size too small and am regreting it ???

LaCrosse Ice Kings are also a great boot. I wore my dad's before I bought the Rocky's.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Fishie have you tried Baffin Ultimates? They are a very warm boot and feel like soft pillows on your feet. They are taller and slightly angled for snowmobiling. They had a booth at the show.I love mine. My feet have never been cold and I get cold feet easy too :)

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I use Sorel Glacier. I think they are rated for -70 or something. They work pretty well, except my big toe on my right foot always gets gold...but that happens no matter what I'm wearing. And I have ridden all the way down to -40F. Get as warm a boot as you can, you will never regret it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had these cheesy Kamik -40° boots up 'til this year. They were ok because the Polaris had the exchangers under the running boards. The new Skidoo does not however, so I go a pair of Sorel Glaciers (-74). They're a bit bulky, but they should be toasty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for all the input...La crosse boot company is changing lines and clearancing some boots. For the price and if they don't work ,I can use them for ice fishing.
They are the Snowdonia name rated for -100

100% waterproof, ozone-resistant rubber bottom
13mm polypropylene/foam/Radiantex® liner with moisture trap insole
Polymeric foam insulation and 9mm felt midsole for maximum warmth
Water-resistant nylon upper for durability
EVA lug outsole for traction
Steel shank for arch support
Style No. 298200

I also bought there wool socks with the polyproplene liners.
If you see a white xcr 600 with the riders feet smoking thats me !!!
see ya on the trails....

·
Registered
745 Posts
ebgb68, before you go and buy the La Crosse check out R.U.Outside Bridgers. They are light weight and warm. I don't think there is a better boot for the money. These boots are comfortable!!
check them out at; www.ruoutside.com

FZ700

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks fx700 what style do you have? They have 4 and 5. Two pounds and good for -70 sounds great!
I already ordered the Lacrosse , but at $30.00 my cost I can keep them for other things.
This is and expensive hobby to get started in.........

·
Registered
745 Posts
ebgb68, I have the 4(maybe 3). I have had them for 2 years, I also have the Ice Kings I use for fishing. This sport does get spendy, but they say " if you want to play, you got to pay". When I started I bought the less expensive, lower quality gear! Then I learned that If you purchased quality gear right away, you would not have to buy everything again in 2 years. I think sledders will agree! You are going about it the right way, your asking for opinions and getting good feedback!

FZ700

1 - 19 of 19 Posts