Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago my 7-1/2 years old son finally got the itch for sledding at our camp (after trying for 4 years). I did not let him drive the Rx1 mountain but the wife 660 no-turbo touring. By the end of the week-end he was jumping the big touring 3' in the air for maybe 8-10 foot lenght....His 14 year old cousin was doing half of those numbers with my Ext 580.

So a friend of mine told me about a guy he knows that has a 1994 Panther deluxe that he was having trouble with. So I suggest him a few things to check on it and he told me that maybe he would get rid of it. So I asked him how much he would ask for it? Told me about 200-250$. So I said ok if he doesn't fix it Ill buy it. I never saw the sled. So at that price I thought that it would look like hell and beat to death with almost no seat, no cab and no windshield. But I did not care cause I have a clean 90's mechanics-less lynx body at home. So I told me that I would tranfert the engine and track in it and dump the panther body.

So last friday my wife went pick up the sled (she did not wanted me to buy it...) 1h1/2h away from home and call me...She told me "I just hope that you won't junk that sled to built up the other and bla bla bla and bla bla bla..." I said why I wouldnt you didn't even want us to buy it? she tell me that the sled is in mint condition and without a single scratch and not event a spot of rust...and that it was the best 250$ I spent on a sled...I thought that she was teasing me hard...

Once I got back from work friday I saw the sled and she wasn't teasing me at all...not a single scratch...not even on the seat! just need to be clean a little and it could be put back in a showroom floor! It has 6000 miles, single carb 440 fan Electric start (it even work), reverse, heat grip and thumb, 2 seat with back rest and 136" track.

So i check for his trouble...and after starting it I figure that it was only the choke cable that was out of adjustment! The sled run like a brand new one!

My son will have blast on it.

Martin

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like you made out with a heck of a deal. Did you tell the person you bought it from it was only the choke cable :) i'm sure he would be happy to know it was only that. Lol

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
congrat on one of the most bullet proof sleds out there

Nice Red and black 440 fan

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I did not tell the guy about the choke cable. He thought that there where a major trouble with the engine...Hahaha! Engine is as tight and clean as a new one. I did some work on it yesterday with my son (grease, chaincase oil, suspension setup...) and he will be able to take it on the lake this week-end to try it. E-start was a little slow so we opened it up to clean it and check and there was a brush wire inside that was broken on the + circuit. I welded it back and it now start like a champ.

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill be able to upgrade the suspension on it this summer. I have a set on hand of brand new Fox front gaz shocks with preload adjustment to put in front of it. The one on it are oil type with no preload adjustment. On the rear suspension I will also upgrade the front oil no-preload shock for a ryde-fx preload adjustable that I also have in hand. And the rear already been change for a gas pro unit (previous owner). I may also add a sway bar on it too cause the panther doesn't have one. I have that on hand too. He's gonna be able to grow on it for a few years for sure. Untill he get old enought to be legal in the trail the sled gonna stay at ou cabin for him to ride the lake.

Martin

·
Registered
252 Posts
thats a great deal.i picked this one up for my daughter yesterday,its a 1998 panther 440 with electric start and reverse.the sled is in mint condition,i am going to change the jack bearings as i have been told they are famous for going out around 6000 miles and this one has 5800 on it.very cheap fix though 29.95 each so for the sake of 60 bucks and a couple hours i will just change them. beleive it or not we got it for $400.00,thats right four hundred bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew it was you I JUST KNEW IT!!!!

Congrats Team Wisz :D

I should have went down Monday afterwrok but I decided to wait til Friday to go down to Parry Sound

I called friday afternoon and it was sold

I guess you snooze you lose :(

that was a hell of a deal!!!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
you are quite the deal sniper there team wisz. good for you. It pays to always keep an eye on the ads.

·
Registered
252 Posts
thanks guys!! well i called the guy on monday myself and we pulled out of mitchell at 7:30 am and arrived in parry sound at 11:30. i was lucky twice this year,both with this deal and the deal i got on my 2 doos. i wonder if i can pull it off 2 more times, i still need 1 more sled and a 4 spot enclosed trailer to have the fleet completed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Good way to get your family involved Team wisz

Nothing like being young and getting your 1st sled with your owned hard earned cash :)

Now you just got to keep the boys away from the 2up :p

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
thats the way I use to do it , they worked for half and I matched the other half . Then we would fix them up spending time together the whole point of the sport.

·
Registered
252 Posts
well i cheated a little. i took the sled to the cat dealer as i know nothing about cats.and i had the bearings changed,the mechanic said there was nothing wrong with the old ones but it was a good idea to change them anyway.he did say they were famous for going out at that mileage.he did a few other things like needles in the carbs and other very minor stuff.but he said i got 1 hell of a deal.so the total bill was 223.45 with tax and labour and parts.he also summerized it at the same time. as usual the labour was more then parts ( theres a surprise).but it was confirmed by a pro the sled is in prestine condition,and it should last my daughter a very long time. he also told me the sled is worth at least 2500 bucks hands down.so total savings just shy of 1900 bucks. guess it was worth the drive to parry sound.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Same reason I was heading down to Parry Sound last weekend :D

But you beat me

Instead of getting a sled I spent the weekend with the inlaws :lookaround:

You got yourself a bullet proof and great MPG

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update...Sled worked great till the end of the seasons. He did about 1000 miles with it on the lake. There where not a single inch of the lake that had no tracks on the snow. Last ride was 2 week-end after easter. Its a fun little sled around the camp.

Martin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts