Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 MXZ670 brake light gave out on me. Does anyone know which wire is the brake light wire in the taillight assembly?Using test light, I have constant power to the white/red wire but nothing else, even when squeezing brake lever. I assume this is the running light. I have power to the upper wire/white of the brake switch assembly at the lever . When I squeeze the lever, shouldn't  both wires at the lever switch be hot meaning the circuit is closed?  Are these lever switches known to fail? The sled has 4k miles.Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
vtjq,
 if you have power to the brake switch but none after for sure it is the brake switch. i have never had a brake switch fail but there has to be ones that have.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Paul. Any snow up your way or are you getting ready to test fire the outboard?

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
vtjq,
 no i have 3 1/2 acres of grass, inground swimming swamp and to much stuff here to look after. don't ever get a big property you'll be a prisoner to your home.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
are you sure the lightbulb isn't just burnt out? Just a thought.... :!!:

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a sensor in the brake lever unit that can go bad.  It is located up against the inside of the brake lever.  Take your lever off and you should be able to see it.  Push the plunger in and if it doesn't spring back out the sensor is shot.  That happened to me last season at a race in Burnesville.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I don't know if it's the same part but 2 of us with '01 MXZs had to get the switch by the brake lever replaced. This seems to be a part Ski-doo cheaps out on. The switch on my '95 MXZ 440 crapped out after 1 season too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx guys. Swapped out switch with a new one and everything is bright again. Probably about right getting 4.5k miles out of the thing. Does not look like NASA quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts