Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF BUYING A 1998 XCR 600 ,ITS BRAND NEW !!I KIND OF MISS THE TRIPLES THEY WHERE SO SMOOTH AND SOUNDED GREAT.THE ONLY REASON NO ONE BUYS THEM IS BECAUSE THE MANUFACTURES DON'T PUT THEM IN THERE GOOD CHASSIS'S.I WOULD A 600 OR 700 TRIPLE SKI-DOO IF IT WAS IN THE ZX OR A POLARIS TRPILE IF IT WHERE IN THE EDGE CHASSIS ANY DAY OVER A TWIN .HOW ABOUT YOU?I HAD XLT'S AND XCR'S NOW I HAVE A XC700 AND A MX-Z 600 I TRIED EM BOTH AND I MISS MY TRIPLE .SHOULD I BUY IT

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I might be a little bit biased. Have a 98 700 and a 99 800 w/M10. Love em both. 700 is like "brand new" with 7500 miles on it. Used for trails 90%, occasional blasts across a lake with buddies. Don't worry about the chassis thing for anything other than track use. They are big and heavy, but that might be why they still feel good at the end of a long run. Awesome sleds for those all day, 200 mile plus, rides in northern lower. Neither could be considered "high maintenace" requiring constant attention to run right. Both still fast enough to leave major grins for hours...

Besides,
Nothing sounds or feels better than a triple pulling hard out of a long sweeper corner. Anyone that's had one is not soon going to forget that.

AL

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If the deal is right go for it!! Nothing better than the tripple. Buy it now, you may not be able to get a tripple in a couple of years.

·
Registered
272 Posts
:D I like it!!! Otherwise this year Polaris has the XCR 800 in thier new chassis if I recall, that is if you want to go new. I just picked mine up this year with 835 miles for 2500.00 Thing looks like it was just driven off the show room.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As someone who rides a sled that often gets bashed for being a pig (2000 xc700sp), I have to agree that the right deal makes up for a lot, but I was just reading the lastest Snowtech last night. They had an article about buying used sleds, and that was one they said to stay away from. Too underpowered for the weight. I 've heard the same thing before but don't personally know anyone who ones one. A friend of a friend bought one last year but the snow last year I think he only got about 200 miles on it.

On the other hand it is a triple/triple and if the price is right...

·
Registered
282 Posts
That slet is not underpowered. My brother in-law has one. Get the clutching and carbs dialed in and that sled is impressive. It has a good ride also and handles pretty good for the weight. Definatley a great trail sled. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Great sled to buy!

Runs stronger, faster, smoother than the new big twins when properly set-up.

These things need little to be dialed in.

PM me if you need help setting it up, I have done several different set-ups on these and know what works.

·
Registered
185 Posts
if it is warrantied it might be a good buy...
my advice is to compare for a couple more grand you might get a new one or a late model new old stock.

In my part of town no one touches xcr's ....crank probs I think that the oil vestibule (hole) on the PTO side of thr motor was a tad small from the factory.
I know guys who have drilled the hole bigger and have had good success
Run it rich and you should be OK

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Re: oil to PTO bearing,

I'm pretty sure the 98 (and 97?) have a fourth oil line run from the pump directly to that bearing to head of the problems associated with the earlier motor.

AL

·
Registered
660 Posts
Michahicks is right.
98 had the latest version of the crank and cases.

Just to put durability into perspective, they are still using that case on the xcr 800's.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That is correckt. No crank problems with tat motor. Brother in law has over 9,000 miles on his with no engine problems at all. SWRules

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just curious (not making fun), but where did you find a 1998 brand new!!??? Thats 5 model years old. You should get it if the price is right. If you dont mind sharing how much is it??

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i found it in manitoba at a polaris dealership.it was listed at $6000.00 canadian which i think is a little much.i never phoned to see if they still had it or what the deal was with it.but in the ad they had it listed with new new non current sleds.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I dont want to get off on a rant here, :angry: so sufice to say,do not fear the durability,speed or comfort of a t/t,like the man said,to those of you who understand,no explanation is necessary,to those of you who dont,no explanation is possible,and with all the so called"experts" bad mouthing trip/trip,its easy to see why the consumer is being swayed to buy the new twins,and there's the key,the manufacturers are pushing the next new thing,so the snorags are coming in line with their wishes.Remember,just a few years ago the t/t's were "the thing",but before that it was all about what?TWINS!Huh,how about that :0: ,Take a look at Yammaha,when everone else was t/t',they were twins,now they have perfected triple power,last years sled of the year,imho t/t manufacturing will unfortunatly pass away , for now,then some corperate wog will get a better idea,and viola,an old idea will be new again,and then,God help the loser that does'nt own one!Please,all you experts,amature and professional,spare us your conveluted opinions,I know many people that love the t/t's,and they have no problem kicking a## on the new twins,so it all boils down to what you personally like,dont worry about what any one else thinks,owns,or says,most of the time the best counsel for you, is your own ;) ,Well,so much for that whole"rant"thing, :cussing: , :p ,just my .02x10 to the nth! SWRules!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow.......
I rather concur with some of the finer points of the kind sir unclebucks high level quandry... rant.

Being a t/t owner in the past it hit's home...... Love my twin though
don't think when I bought it it was because I couldn't find a comparable t/t
My buddie had a liberty twin and it flew, good low end grunt but alas I am digressing here..

$6K CDN for the sled ??? if it has a factory warranty it is not a bad price
If your spending 6K whats anothet 1500?
That'll get you a later model NOS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts