Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up new sled yesterday. Still no snow here.
Anything special I should worry about breaking them in. Speed limitations or other thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, you know what I would do is read the Operator's Manuel from cover to cover. It should explain every thing you need to know. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:doh: Thanks, Auggie
I have read it.
Hoping for some real world advice on breaking it in what to watch for listen for etc.
My dealer gave me a thing to come back after 200 mi and drop another $220.80+parts for break in service.
We bought 2 new sleds yesterday and perfer not to spend another $500 just yet.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Honnestly I have never properly broke in a sled acording to the book. All I do is take it easy for the first couple hours varying the throttle all the time. after it feels loosened up I start to hammer it but not for any more than a few seconds. After a 70-100 miles I just ride like I always do ......to the bar

·
Registered
190 Posts
Joe......The answer is 10 minutes....(just kidding)
I installed a new engine in my Doo.
Took me 10 minutes to drive it to the track.
Drag raced for the next 45 minutes.

What I've read, the key to engine break in is changing the throttle position, and not riding at a continuous RPM for an extended period of time. In theory, this should seat the rings on the pistons earlier, due to the changing cylinder pressures.

The boys I know ride them hard out of the box, and we've noticed no issues with engine durability.

·
0 Posts
had the engine rebuilt top to bottom last Dec 00, dealer had told me that proper breakin procedure was to always very rpm not to hold at a dsteady rpm for long periods of time, mix fuel 50:1 as well as the injector for at least 2 tanks of fuel, and to not baby it, if u come on a lake by all means hold her to the bar for a bit, the second tank of mixed feul should be held a rpm's for longer amount of time than the first tank, this procedure ensures proper breakin. this is what dealer had told me to do, now last year all i got to use was 1.5 tanks of fuel so i dont know what she will run like this season on straight fuel.

Some poeple i know dont bother with that s#@t and driver hard out of the box, but these are the guys that drive new every 2.

·
Registered
26 Posts
;) Just courious; what kind of sled needs a service check for $228?? Sounds like my BMW bikes!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know Kenny.
They have a list of things they check for 3.2 hours @ $69.00 an hour.
They had me sign a notice stating that I understand this needs to be performed after 200 mi.
Personally I think I'll get a service manual and learn to do it myself.
That is why I like this site SWRules
Lots of knowledgable people on here.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like that dealer is backing you into a cornor. If you're not sure what to check after a few hundred miles would be worth having it gone over. Out here they go over it for $60.00. They check all sorts of things like track adjustment, ski alignment, color of the plugs, fluids, belt tension, clutches, grease it, etc.. Worth having done particularly if you can watch. (at the shop I do business with you can) I wonder if he would deny you warranty service if you didn't have them serviced at his shop? Now that I think about it the shop here in Hillsboro, NH gives one free service at the end of the year on all their new sleds. I have 2 friends with new sleds last year who just had their sleds done for free. :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Most dealers give you your first checkup for FREE! I'd be ticked if my dealer wanted to charge me. I did mine myself but that's besides the point. I'd complain to cat.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by rfmckee@Nov 25 2002, 06:47 AM
Most dealers give you your first checkup for FREE! I'd be ticked if my dealer wanted to charge me. I did mine myself but that's besides the point. I'd complain to cat.
It says right in the owners manual they recommend taking it in to the shop to get checked out after 200 miles for a fee...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hotshot94,

Where in NH? We already are planning a trip to Twin MT in January maybe I can get it checked while I'm up there.

Thanks,

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts