Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks everyone for all the input on my previous post, I had the shocks rebuilt and the torque arm welded. Now I'm just waiting on new suspension springs from shade tree.

But nothing can ever seem to go right. In my infinite wisdom I decided to take out the trailing arm bolts to see if the bushings were bad. In doing so I broke off the bolts into the body of the sled. :cussing: Can anyone suggest the best way to get these bolts out. I bought an easy out and I have tried to drill into the bolts with a cobalt bit, and have not made very much progress.

Any suggestions, aside from burning down my sled in a fit of rage and collecting the insurance money, would be appreciated.

Current conditions: Bemidji, MN Wed 11-28-07 1 Inch of snow and 14 F. More snow in forecast. Best possibility of accumulation This weekend!! Lets hope and pray.

-Polaris Fan

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Take the sled to a welder and have him TIG weld a nut to the broken bolt. A good welder can establish an arc on the inside of the nut and weld it up plus the heat from the operation should break the rust seizing the bolt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the sled to a welder and have him TIG weld a nut to the broken bolt. A good welder can establish an arc on the inside of the nut and weld it up plus the heat from the operation should break the rust seizing the bolt.[/b]

Thanks for the input, I was able to get through the bolt with a small cobalt bit and a good amount of cutting oil and work my way up in size with drill bits untill I got to the origional size. I then retaped the hole and put a new bolt in. The key was to figure out how much pressure to put on the small bits so that they would not break but so they would also cut through the metal. Several small drill bits (and curse words) later I got it fixed. I have been riding for the last 4 days and all is going well so far.

Well im off to go put some more miles on while the snow is still descent.

Thanks for the input
-Polaris Fan

·
Registered
67 Posts
For future reference, if you can drill a hole big enough to get a straight shank easy out, apply heat to the broken bolt to the point where it is almost turning red (I don't have torches so I use a small propane torch from the hardware store) Then, take a birthday candle and melt as much wax into the area of the threads as possible. Let it cool and turn it out.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Polaris used loctite on many of those bolts. Heat should be part of any plan to remove a broken one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts