Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so today I am out working on my new toy and I get the carb off and it goes great. Got the carb all clean up and ready to go. So I go to install the carb back on and as soon as the nut reaches about the 5th thread the nut just breaks off like a piece of Candy Cane. (VERY EASILY) Didnt even realize I had done it. Ok so how hard is it to extract one of these or should I just take it down somewhere??? Any Input on this please!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ok so today I am out working on my new toy and I get the carb off and it goes great. Got the carb all clean up and ready to go. So I go to install the carb back on and as soon as the nut reaches about the 5th thread the nut just breaks off like a piece of Candy Cane. (VERY EASILY) Didnt even realize I had done it. Ok so how hard is it to extract one of these or should I just take it down somewhere??? Any Input on this please!![/b]

Ya been there. Remove the part with the broken bolt, take it down to your dealers shop, or any shop you trust. They will drill out the broken bolt and re-tap it for you. Take it home, put back together. And you're ready to ride. Don't fell to bad about it. You're not the first one to do it and won't be the last. And it's only about 15 - 20 minutes of labour for the shop, so it won't cost much.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Somtimes if the threads are still sticking out you can use a grinding wheel and make a new "slot" type groove to get a screw driver in there and unthread it, or even a center punch and try spinning it out in the direction to "loosen" it keeping to the outside of the screw. At our shop we've done just as snofrog has said too and weld another bolt to it to get a better grip on it. Really depends on the situation and what you have to work with. If money isnt a issue take it to a pro.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The center punch way works very well. I would suggest trying that first because its very easy to do and free. It doesnt take much to spin it at all because the head of the bolt isnt there to torque the treads in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts