Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 340 everest.  The cowl is sundamaged and cracked in every possible location.   The light doesnt work and most of the plastic is melted because of the cherry bomb exhaust i put on it.  

But i want to go to the drag races with it and win.  I bought a eagle talon turbo for it and a powersteering pump.  I took the engine out and am assembiling everything out of the body.  I am going to take the turbo and mount that right to the intake.  I will have the carb extended from the turbo with a big pipe.  Exhaust will come around and go into the turbo and out the bottom.  I will have a can of naphta camp fuel as a afterburner.  

I will rig the wastegate to a brake lever so i can control boost.  Im guessing 20 psi of boost.  

I got to big glad garbage bags which i will deploy at the end of the race via model rocket engines.  this will slow me down intime.  

If i ever get it running I will take pics.  and post it.  I need a few more months to finish.  

The powersteering pump will weld on the primary clutch for oil to the turbo.  Only concern is that it might not spin it.  But we will see.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it sounds sad but its not a joke.  There is a 340 everest in the works.  

Basicly to sum it up.  I got a turbo for 50.00 and want to see if i can get it to work on somthing.  THe ol 340 sounds like a good test.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good luck with that one.
Instead of mounting the powersteering pump on the clutch, get a little belt pulley off a polaris(waterpump) and run that there, take pretty much any V-Belt.  just a thought

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good suggestion.  It would be a lot easier to weld a pulley then the whole pump.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds like a project.  Wish I had that much freedom  

Ever think of playing with nitrous?  It may be easier to work with than the turbo.  Of course, if your on a budget filling the tank up can get pricey.  

I've got a 25lb tank all hooked up on one of my cars.  Never tried it though.  

-Josh

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Sounds like a project for Jed and red green.
 But hey it could work.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
with no exhaust valve in the 340 the turbo will spit the air/fuel charge right out the exhaust before it gets burned.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats a possability but im hoping that if i set it really rich that there will be enough fuel in there to compleat the combution.  The exhaust will have the after burner in it also to burn up any unburnt fuel causing even more power.  

Its all up in the air.  

I will have it so the wastegate is open and i wont shut it untill i need the boost.  I have no regulator so if it charges fast it might just blow the engine right then and there.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I read an article on this a few years ago but was with a supercharger not a turbo,problem was solved by making a exhaust valve out of a rotary somehow,but said it was extremely fast for about 200 feet before it blew up and they said it was a good thing it had no throttle control(stuck wide open).good luck

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Sounds like a complicated but very fun project!  Take some pics when you finnish!  I want to see that beast  

·
Registered
963 Posts
why don't you just buy an air plane engine, something like an F-16 engine or better yet, the blackbird! or how about a formula 1 engine?  

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Slip A RX1 4 banger in there, that would be the hottest thing on snow. LOLLLLL,LOL  JUst nitrous the thing 15 lbs. and hang on. Put a head cradle on engine.
 Don't forget ether to start it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
LOL MAN!! I bet haning out with machzzzz1 would be blast WTF!? is he for real?

hahah man i hope this works but i certainly would have no idea how to get it working right.

good luck though man

Zagg

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Machzzzz1 must be the same guy who put that rocket engine in that quadracer
But seriously it is fun trying to build something crazy and blowing it up is half the fun of trying.A friend used a vacume line with an adjustable regulator in it on his old crap box turbo shadow.Just a thought for ya.If ya do get it built,e-mail me cause i'm not that far from ya and i'de love to see the beasts maiden voyage

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Somthing tells me the fire department will be involved with this project.

And i dont think there will be a maden voyage.  I dont think the engine will last that long on the stand and wont make it into a sled.

If it runs and i do get it into the sled you can see me at the Madoc Ice drags north of bellville that will be where the maden voyage takes place.  

Or at the batawa hill climbs.  

But i dont think i will get it done this season.  I will have to go into a friends tool and dye shop and make a few parts for the intake turbo mount.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wow this sound's crazy ....  I'll give it a shot though . You will need a sealed air box  you will have to regulate the boost some how
you will also need some power jets , to get more fuel once you start ramming all that air in there . you will also need some kind of exhaust valve to keep the fuel in or you will just blow it right out .

·
Registered
561 Posts
Is that sled oil injection ? if it is you can use the oil bottle for your power jets and fill it with alocohol '' not beer ''  hahaha , that will help cool things down cuz you will be making lots of heat ..... Man you got me thinking now ..... hahaha I'll draw something up , are you really going to do this
 if so let me know what you have so far ... this is a fan cooled sled ? right ? why I ask that is you will not be needing the fan anymore and you can use that fan pulley to run a shaft that will take care of the exhaust valves

1 - 20 of 24 Posts