Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the front page of Snow Goer there's a blurb about fixing your burndown blues. Well I read the article & there was no mention of any engine related problems. Is this an American generic sled problem term? Most people that I know will say they seized or "holed" a piston.

IMO, burndown means the sled burned up & all that's left is a puddle of aluminum & fiberglass fibres on the trail.

Maybe it's like the "center head" or 3/4 cam people use when they talk about car engines :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Does it really matter what term they use, a bunk sled is a bunk sled. (broken)

·
Registered
593 Posts
When I say burndown I mean the motor burned down. Usually a piston, if its the crank I usually say it seized (or what ever happened)

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard the term used refering to holing a piston from running to lean. Is that what they were talking about in the article?[/b]
No it wasn't. There were 3 items. One about leak down tests, unequal carbide wear & the 3rd about fixing a jackshaft bearing.

If you're going to use a term or slang, use it in the proper context. No wonder some newbies have a hard time describing a problem when the magazines don't get it right either.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Kris,

I read the same Magazine lead in then read the article. It left me feeling the same way then I thought the reference to the article had meant the leak down test or maybe the "Burn Down" of buying a used sled...very confusing indeed !

·
Registered
670 Posts
Round here burnt down meens any major damage. Crash your sled and its totaled its burnt down, blow the engine its burnt down. Just a slang for tore up where Im from.

·
Registered
476 Posts
First, why in the world are you reading Snow Goer? They, like a lot of other journalistic ventures, tend to print (say) anything just to fill space, at least IMHO. Center head, that's a new one on me. Well, I have to go now, have to go out to my garage and change my 3/4 cam to a 7/8's cam in my small block............ :undercover:

·
Registered
980 Posts
yup, around here the term "burned down" usually means a holed piston.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, why in the world are you reading Snow Goer?[/b]
The only reason I'm getting it is because of them screwing up Snowweek. I had a subscription to it for 18 issues a year, then last year they dropped that to 4 & as a added bonus I started to get the US version of Snow Goer :rolleyes: . When the subscription runs out, I'm not renewing it.

In the same issue, their Great Escape article about sledding in northern Ontario was a complete waste of paper & ink. If they want to write about trips, they should see what Craig Nicholson (The Intrepid Snowmobiler) puts in the Canadian Snow Goer. Much more informative & helpful for trip planning. The US article basically was an ad for Deckers. Mind you if that trip was anything like the norm, I don't think they'll get a lot of takers.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
From everything I've been told and have read, burndown means that you were running too lean (therefore too hot in the pistons) for whatever reason (bad tuning, clogged jet, hole in the intake, maybe bad gas, etc) and something melted in the combustion chamber. I wouldn't apply the term to blown crankshaft bearings or a broken chain or something, but really what do I know. Maybe it is supposed to be more generic but that was not my impression.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Center head, that's a new one on me.[/b]
I've heard people refer to the intake manifold on a V8 as the center head :dazed: .

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
On the front page of Snow Goer there's a blurb about fixing your burndown blues. Well I read the article & there was no mention of any engine related problems. Is this an American generic sled problem term? Most people that I know will say they seized or "holed" a piston.

IMO, burndown means the sled burned up & all that's left is a puddle of aluminum & fiberglass fibres on the trail.

Maybe it's like the "center head" or 3/4 cam people use when they talk about car engines :rolleyes: .[/b]
hey, I had a isky 3/4 cam race cam ,way back in 89. v-8 vega I built. note in this lifter file it mentions one. man I cannot remember the grind hairy souding but weak by todays standards. if I remember right, the term came from back in the day when chevy had 4 over the counter cams. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 , full race grinds. http://www.iskycams.com/pdfcatalog/2004-05/page10.pdf

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
burndown means blown engine

·
Registered
430 Posts
I also read the mag.

I think they were attempting to be informative but miserably failed.
It looks as if there editor was asleep because the cover description is no where to be found.
Avoid burn down blues on page ---.
There was not a single reference to it.
I read about tell tail signs of a POS sled when purchasing used. They could'nt even get that correct.

The Decker snow adventures?
Seriously-
That was a complete debauchery of a trip.
(Lets take severall dozen sleders on a trip to nowhere in subzero temps)
That went well stupid-

Honestly the mag has zero credibility with anyone that actually snowmobiles.
They must have had the computer geek put together and edit the articles.

Oh,
Burn down means "Blown motor", "Hole in piston", "Siezed up" , "A rod through the block" etc.

AHHHHHHHH- How Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cussing:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also read the mag.

Seriously-
That went well stupid-[/b]
We ride in Hearst too during our annual northern Ontario trip & last winter was brutally cold up there. It appeared that they weren't prepared for the temps or terrain. The Soo to Wawa stretch we haven't ridden yet. Very rought terrain to be seen from Hwy. 17 along Lake Superior or the ACR.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I also read the mag.

I think they were attempting to be informative but miserably failed.
It looks as if there editor was asleep because the cover description is no where to be found.
Avoid burn down blues on page ---.
There was not a single reference to it.
I read about tell tail signs of a POS sled when purchasing used. They could'nt even get that correct.

Seriously-
That went well stupid-

Honestly the mag has zero credibility with anyone that actually snowmobiles.
They must have had the computer geek put together and edit the articles.

Oh,
Burn down means "Blown motor", "Hole in piston", "Siezed up" , "A rod through the block" etc.

AHHHHHHHH- How Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cussing:[/b]

I agree, seeing all the breakdowns and people injured the article read like everyone was completely unprepared for the trip. And then to finish it off by saying everyone had a great time and couldn't wait to do it again. I'm sure it was more like, "thats the last time I do that again" instead. :crazy:

I don't know what it is about the magazines, I usually take nothing from the mag that I don't already know but I still can't stop reading. Guess I just need to ride. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I don't know what it is about the magazines, I usually take nothing from the mag that I don't already know but I still can't stop reading.[/b]
That's pretty much how I feel about all the magazines, with the possible exception of Snow Tech. That's really the only magazine I would pick up hoping to actually learn something new.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Snowtech usually has some decent tips & updates for sleds.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Snowtech is far from what it used to be 10yrs ago and in its Race N rally days

its a glorified brochure just like the rest of the rags

1 - 20 of 20 Posts