Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody consider to buy a SKI DOO in the U.S.A.? I looked into it and you would be saving
about $2000 to $4000, depending on what sled you buy. Also you would save on oil, $52 CDN, $38US.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
from what I read tonight an american dealer will be in big doo doo for selling to a canadian and risking his doo dealership. and second from what I read even if it is third party there will be NO warranty . dont believe it lol ? just say and I will go back and find it for you

Bombardier tells U.S. dealer to stop selling to Canucks
No more buying rec vehicles with hot loonie

Mon Oct 15 2007

By Aldo Santin

JOHN STENNES / FOR THE FREE PRESS
Ron Thompson says he wasn’t protected from Americans heading north to buy when the greenback was strong.

A Grand Forks snowmobile dealer said he's been ordered by Quebec-based Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. to stop selling snow machines, ATVs and watercraft to Canadians who are looking to take advantage of the rising value of the Canadian dollar.
Ron Thompson, owner of Gateway Sports in Grand Forks, said over the course of the past two weeks Bombardier -- which manufacturers the popular Ski-Doo and Sea-Doo vehicles -- ordered him to impose a surcharge to Canadians of several thousand dollars on sales, and ultimately to not make any sales at all.

"Canadians want to buy a Canadian product but I'm not allowed to sell it to them," Thompson said. "I had more than 35 calls from Canadians last week and another 10 calls this week," adding he had to turn those inquiries away.

Thompson said Canadians can save several thousands of dollars on the purchase of a snow machine. The Renegade X 800 model sells for $10,000 at his shop, he said, adding it would go for $13,000 to $14,000 in Winnipeg.

Thompson said Bombardier's standard policy had been for its dealers to impose a 7.5 per cent surcharge on all sales to Canadians. Then two weeks ago, Bombardier altered the surcharge fee to 7.5 per cent or $1,250, whichever is greater. Last week, Bombardier imposed a $3,000 surcharge on sales. And earlier this week, Thompson said a Bombardier representative told him not to sell to Canadians at all.

"They said it's to protect the Canadian dealers but when the Canadian dollar (was at 70 cents) and Americans were going north to make their purchases, nobody was protecting my interests," Thompson said.
Thompson said Bombardier will void the warranty on any craft purchased by a Canadian in the United States -- even if the purchase was initially made by an American -- and it has threatened to cancel dealership arrangements with dealers who sell to Canadians.

"I'm paying $5,000 a month interest on the inventory I have but I'm not allowed to sell to Canadians who are trying to save some money," Thompson said. "It's just not right."

Bombardier spokesman Pierre Pichette, vice-president of communications and public affairs, said the Quebec-based firm has always assigned geographic boundaries to its dealerships and financial penalties to enforce the terms of the agreements.

Pichette said dealers are not allowed to sell to citizens of another country, adding the policy is based on market analysis and ensures that dealers can not only sell but also service the products they sell.

Pichette said the penalty was repeatedly increased in the past two weeks to prevent American border dealers from buckling to pressure from Canadian customers.

"We've had to make adjustments (to the penalty) for today," Pichette said, adding in the past dealers had to get permission from the company before it sold a product to someone from outside its boundaries and a financial penalty was always imposed.

Pichette said the company policy also applies to Canadian dealers, adding they are not allowed to sell to Americans.

[email protected]

email
this
story
printer
friendly
version

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't believe this, we Canadians can't get a break even if our dollar is low or high. Bombardier should cut the Canadian prices, and be fair about it.
I wonder if Polaris, Yamaha and Arctic Cat are not allowed to sell to Canadians in the US.
I have an idea, how about we stop buying Ski doo sleds for this year and the people who already bought or waiting for the sleds ask for your money back or cancel the order. May be this might wake up BRP. Who's IN.

from what I read tonight an american dealer will be in big doo doo for selling to a canadian and risking his doo dealership. and second from what I read even if it is third party there will be NO warranty . dont believe it lol ? just say and I will go back and find it for you
Bombardier tells U.S. dealer to stop selling to Canucks
No more buying rec vehicles with hot loonie

Mon Oct 15 2007

By Aldo Santin
JOHN STENNES / FOR THE FREE PRESS
Ron Thompson says he wasn’t protected from Americans heading north to buy when the greenback was strong.

A Grand Forks snowmobile dealer said he's been ordered by Quebec-based Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. to stop selling snow machines, ATVs and watercraft to Canadians who are looking to take advantage of the rising value of the Canadian dollar.
Ron Thompson, owner of Gateway Sports in Grand Forks, said over the course of the past two weeks Bombardier -- which manufacturers the popular Ski-Doo and Sea-Doo vehicles -- ordered him to impose a surcharge to Canadians of several thousand dollars on sales, and ultimately to not make any sales at all.

"Canadians want to buy a Canadian product but I'm not allowed to sell it to them," Thompson said. "I had more than 35 calls from Canadians last week and another 10 calls this week," adding he had to turn those inquiries away.

Thompson said Canadians can save several thousands of dollars on the purchase of a snow machine. The Renegade X 800 model sells for $10,000 at his shop, he said, adding it would go for $13,000 to $14,000 in Winnipeg.

Thompson said Bombardier's standard policy had been for its dealers to impose a 7.5 per cent surcharge on all sales to Canadians. Then two weeks ago, Bombardier altered the surcharge fee to 7.5 per cent or $1,250, whichever is greater. Last week, Bombardier imposed a $3,000 surcharge on sales. And earlier this week, Thompson said a Bombardier representative told him not to sell to Canadians at all.

"They said it's to protect the Canadian dealers but when the Canadian dollar (was at 70 cents) and Americans were going north to make their purchases, nobody was protecting my interests," Thompson said.
Thompson said Bombardier will void the warranty on any craft purchased by a Canadian in the United States -- even if the purchase was initially made by an American -- and it has threatened to cancel dealership arrangements with dealers who sell to Canadians.

"I'm paying $5,000 a month interest on the inventory I have but I'm not allowed to sell to Canadians who are trying to save some money," Thompson said. "It's just not right."

Bombardier spokesman Pierre Pichette, vice-president of communications and public affairs, said the Quebec-based firm has always assigned geographic boundaries to its dealerships and financial penalties to enforce the terms of the agreements.

Pichette said dealers are not allowed to sell to citizens of another country, adding the policy is based on market analysis and ensures that dealers can not only sell but also service the products they sell.

Pichette said the penalty was repeatedly increased in the past two weeks to prevent American border dealers from buckling to pressure from Canadian customers.

"We've had to make adjustments (to the penalty) for today," Pichette said, adding in the past dealers had to get permission from the company before it sold a product to someone from outside its boundaries and a financial penalty was always imposed.

Pichette said the company policy also applies to Canadian dealers, adding they are not allowed to sell to Americans.

[email protected]

email
this
story
printer
friendly
version[/b]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ya I dont understand why we pay so much. I was reading up on the summit everest xp 154,and in snow tech mag, its 9,949 usd, and in canada it retails at around 12,500.
thats 3k more. I thought they were manufactured in canada.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This really chokes my chicken! You know we (Canadians) have been paying higher prices for things as long as I can remember, even if we were to go to USA where prices were lower we still got hosed due to the exchange rate. Now we have an opportunity to come out on top and we get screwed again! Maybe if the Canadian Dealerships are losing business they should stop gouging us with higher prices and start getting competitive with the American market. New trucks are another prime example where on a big loaded GM truck you can expect to pay $10-15K in USA than in Canada! Thats outrageous! I understand that when the products were made they were made at higher cost due to the lower dollar, but did you know that lower prices result in higher sales???? Ya I know its amazing break through info here! Seriously more sales at lower prices means less profit per unit but with more units selling you should in the end be able to break even with your current profits!!!! SO LOWER YOUR PRICES TO BRING BUSINESS BACK INSTEAD OF TREATENING LOYAL DEALERSHIPS WHO CHOOSE TO SELL YOUR PRODUCT LINE!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts