Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again all. Yes, I know my name screams Yamaha - but those days are over. Simply put, after buying a Phazer, sinking way to much $$ into it and still it needing more (for a sport that simply does not have a real good ROI imho) I offloaded it.

So I have been using a 1971 Olympique for $50 (w/ $100 put into it) for 2 years of unbelievably fun sledding.

However, a neighbour has presented me with a 1980 4500E Citation for $100. He guesses it has under 1000KM's on it (his friend had it brand new and only drove it here and there, the person I am buying it from is an old Finish man who is a good friend of the family). The sled appears to be in great condition (will need seat redone though) - and my brother has done engine work on it before.

Long story short, it has Oil Injection. I am wondering how safe this is. Can I trust it? Should I add a little oil to the gas just to be safe? Will Amsoil Injection oil work fine? Will it be easy to put a tach from another Citation into this one?

What else should I watch out for?

Thanks folks!

Steve.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The citations are a great sled extremely dependable, about the oil injection just change the drive gear for it and you'll have no problems. (10$ part) or if your still worried disconnect and premix. Change gear every 2-3 years just for a little added safety. Good luck with your new sled if you so decide to buy. For the tach just insert and it should plug in. You can run any injection oil reg Ski-doo oil will work fine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The citations are a great sled extremely dependable, about the oil injection just change the drive gear for it and you'll have no problems. (10$ part) or if your still worried disconnect and premix. Change gear every 2-3 years just for a little added safety. Good luck with your new sled if you so decide to buy. For the tach just insert and it should plug in. You can run any injection oil reg Ski-doo oil will work fine.[/b]

Excellent, thanks! How hard is it to change the drive gear?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just remove the cover should be a nut holding gear in place remove pull off gear and replace i believe it's a 27 tooth.

·
Registered
36 Posts
phazers were one of best reliable sleds you could buy put buddy had 18 000kms wrenck free kms on one i have a 82 srv with 33 000 kms and only one rebuild

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THERE CAN ALLWAYS BE A LEMON.I HAD A FEW OVER THE YEARS NO MATTER WHAT BRAND .[/b]

Just the clarify - the Phazer was a good sled, just a victim to a poorly done rebuild and a bottom end with quite a few miles on it. I would have full confidence in any Yamaha product, and on that note, most things that come from it's home country of Japan.

So far, the Citation is look good. It's going to need the seat re-done and probably some heated extras to ensure my rides are a little warmer. This is a pretty comfy sled and one that will get treated well - it will be puted up and down the trails (hopefully)

:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do not ad oil to gas with oil inj. You will just foul the plug.[/b]
Wha???? If you disconnect the oil pump then you should have no problem. I have done this with several of my older sleds over the years, usually after burning them out because the oil pump quit, and have never had a problem with fouling the plugs. :confused:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I know this may sound harsh, but why would you want to go from a IFS sled, to a leaf spring sled & one that's 27 years old at that? There has to be some S chassis fan cooled sleds out there in your price range.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know this may sound harsh, but why would you want to go from a IFS sled, to a leaf spring sled & one that's 27 years old at that? There has to be some S chassis fan cooled sleds out there in your price range.[/b]

Excellent question. In regards to that, the phazer simply needed more and more money. With that said, I didn't see I suppose enough marginal benefit with spending more money in respect to the utility I would get from snowmobiling. So I happily offloaded that and I haven't looked back. The sport just isn't worth the extra time and money I would have needed to invest to get that snowmobile into tip top shape.

So I simply beat around an old Ski Doo for a couple of years having a blast - with no wild fixed costs like a trail permit needed. It was fun, but the Citation is in pretty decent shape and my brother (who now has my old phazer and ended up spending the money getting it into near perfect shape) will be able to ride with me. In this case, the original $100 invested in the citation (plus other costs I will incure) seems to make it worth my while. So long as I can get some decent rides in, my real only expenses SHOULD be fairly low fixed ones and even lower variables (I'll just assume gas, oil, maintenence).

I hope that makes sense, I tried to justify it in the most basic of "accounting" terms I could to make sure I would keep my passion for the sport out of serious decision making.

Now, just quickly, if I need to spend much more than I've originally sunk into the Citation in term of the original purchase price - then I will simply sell it off. That way, I've only lost $100. My goal is to simply keep out of the financial rut that snowmobiling can become - as I found out with having my first snowmobile (the phazer)

Hope that makes sense.. :)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Ps was that a 84 Phazer the old silver bullet the bullet proof sled ? I had one my two boy,s put on about 2.000 miles on over a 3 year pd with no problems.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not seen one sled that will not need upkeep if you want play you have to pay![/b]

Right - but you also have to balance out between how much you like playing with how much you like paying. In my case, I just can't justify spending $2000+ on a sport that only provides you with 2 months of riding. I could spend $500 on my car,$500 on a new Kayak, $500 on clothes and the final $500 on random stuff. That to me would provide more satisfaction then spending it on snowmobiles.

However, that is not the case with some people. They enjoy somemobiling so much that it is worth the money they need to spend. Other people, enjoy Golf.

Now take my current snowmobile - it is very.. affordable to say the least. I would argue that 90% of snowmobilers would NOT want to drive it. But to me, I see it as a snowmobile that is more than satisfying for my needs.

I hope that clears up my frame of mind :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts