Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just looking to see if I can really afford this sport.
looking to finance a sled next year with a good down payment so will have some money to spend on clothing and everything.

I broke it down so far mostly.
we got insurance: 465 for full coverage on a 2007 mxz 800. (willonly be getting a 600)
trailer:2008 enclosed 2 bed trailer 2995
Permit:(before dec 1) 180 for the year
Gas: (numbers from polaris 600 iq) 44.3l tank. 1 tank will get about 354km. 0.95$ gas. Roughly 45$ gas/tank.
Clothing: 300$ base equipment depending on sales and what deals from dealership.
Helmet-200$

Oil as per 600 engine.?
other liquids and spending needed for the sport..

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
your on the right page. it expensive but at least your not running 10 dollar a gallon race gas like i got in one of my sled. oil is usaully aobut 35 to40 dollars a gallon for good sutff and you probably used aroudn a quart or so a tank id say. maybe a tad less. most sleds are in the 40 to 50:1 range injection wise.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Snowmobiling is expensive.

[codebox]Clothing: 300$ base equipment depending on sales and what deals from dealership.[/codebox] This might be a little thin. You will need boots, gloves and a suit - I would budget $600.00 here. A good suit (Ice Rider or equivalent) is worth the price.

You mentioned a trailer. You will have to tow the trailer so a good estimate is $50.00 per trip for fuel for the tow vehicle. I have insurance on my trailer; this covers me when the trailer is not hooked up.

If you plan to go on any trips, we budget $125.00 per day for accommodations fuel (both gasoline and oil) and food. I ride with other guys so we do not stay in top end motels. Price stated is for two to a room sharing the rate.

Remember to buy an extra set of spark plugs and belt for the sled. If you plan to park the sled outside, then you will need a cover ($200.00).

These costs are ball park figures and can mostly go up depending on your life-style.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot for the help.

Im not planning to go away on my own for a year or 2. Im getting the trailer just so I got somewhere to store it becasue I only got a small shed.

Im trying to budget as much as I can for the first year get everything bought.
Polaris and skidoo dealers both said 350 for clothing.. but skidoo has 350 + 250 so hoepfully they still have that deal on next march.

Im still deciding on which sled to go wiht.. Depending upon if the skidoo dealer still has the 2007 Mxz 500ss adrenaline thats my sled.. but then again I love the look of the new Polaris Iq. significant difference in price since hopefully in the spring the 500ss will have some huge rebate since its GOTTA GO!.. andhopefully skidoo has a deal like they have now on for next march. phenominal deal!

I know it gets expensive thats why im trying to keep it cheaper.. but I havent rode for about 3 years now and im kicking my self every winter for not having something to be out there enjoying the snow!.. so im looking to get one to get back into this damn fine sport!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Im still deciding on which sled to go wiht.. Depending upon if the skidoo dealer still has the 2007 Mxz 500ss adrenaline thats my sled.. but then again I love the look of the new Polaris Iq. significant difference in price since hopefully in the spring the 500ss will have some huge rebate since its GOTTA GO!.. andhopefully skidoo has a deal like they have now on for next march. phenominal deal![/b]
I just bought a new 07 500SS Adrenaline with factory electric start 3 weeks ago for my wife. I paid $7900.00+ both taxes. I called 23 dealers around the central/southern ontario area looking for the sled. I probably found 6 other m/cs(some elec-some not).

So there are some out there, but you might have to drive to get one.

I also bought an 06 GSX 500SS in March 07. This is essentially the same scenario as what you are doing: buying a sled that is almost 2 years old. The selection I had was less to choose from. Just a heads up.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats nice price man sucha steal

same thing because there is a 2007 gsx blizzard 500ss there and I love the blue white! but i hear that the adrenaline package is cash for rough stuff.

its been there since like last janurary so im hopin im safe to wait till next march

they ahd a blow out sale in june for that sled at a price of 7100 so hopefully do itagain :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
whos getting 354 km on a tank of gas?

·
Registered
629 Posts
whos getting 354 km on a tank of gas?[/b]

That’s what i was thinking, I am lucky to get 160km mind you that is an 800ptck. I think $300 on gear is to low if you buy cheap gear you will be very sorry.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a rough guestiment.

if you are able to get 18-20mpg = 15.7l/100km/ 44.3l/15.7 =2.82 X 100km = 282 44.3l in a gas tank. first one was at 20mpg.. 18 is more resonable..

·
Registered
361 Posts
this sport is going to bankrupt you no matter what, so just finance it, enjoy it and say goodbye to your dead presidents, because the more you ride, the more you'll spend, and lets face facts the more you ride, the more you'll want to ride.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that too much for gas mileage? It doesnt say anyting on site bout l/100km or mpg? thoguht 500 ss was good gas mileage so I was 18-20

I dont really know gas milage of new sleds .. so you'll have to correct me because im most likely wrong..sorry!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah I was planning on financing only way I wont go bankrupt first year. I wont be spending no 10000a year or nothing like some ppl haha costs money to have fun I know but im sure theres ways you can save money here and there.

and skidoo offered 350+250 on clothing so Im guessing that should get me enough?

and I say good bye to the great prime ministers not the dead presidents lol..

Canadian Baby!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know its alot of money but I know every fricken penny is worth it!

and nothing comes cheap these days so im willing to pay for it !

do the gauntlets work farely well?
they look like they would come in farely helpful..and to cut down on wind..what windshield should I get ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
same thing because there is a 2007 gsx blizzard 500ss there and I love the blue white! but i hear that the adrenaline package is cash for rough stuff.[/b]
No such thing as a GSX"Blizzard". Blizzards are actually Black and white. They are not offered in a 500SS. The Blizzard sleds have lots of premium shocks on them- some clicker shok and maybe even take-apart(rebuildable).

My 06 GSX 500SS and wife's 07 Adrenaline 500SS are very similar. Her clutching (stock) is calibrated to engage about 400 rpm's higher than my 06 GSX(different primary spring). Here secondary clutching has a different spring and cam to give it slower upshift and quicker backshift.

As far the suspension goes: the ski shocks and springs are different, the centre(front of rear susp) shock and spring are the same, the rear springs are the same but the rear shock is different(Adrenaline seems to have a slow rebound.

All in all after close to 90 miles wife hasn't complained.

I would like to change the clutching on her sled to match mine. This would better suit our style of riding. Looks like around $125.00 to change the 2 springs and cam.

Around $250 to change rear shock.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"No such thing as a GSX"Blizzard". Blizzards are actually Black and white. They are not offered in a 500SS."

is the blue and white just an option because the dealer told me it was a blizzard package.. he dont know much more hten I do i suppose.. sorry nube here to the 10 different packages for every skidoo sled haha.. im trying to get it all down.

so for the extra 500 worth getting gsx 500ss then? mirrors and crap on it also

·
Registered
222 Posts
do the gauntlets work farely well?
they look like they would come in farely helpful..and to cut down on wind..what windshield should I get ?[/b]
If the gauntlets that you talk about are what I refer to as muffs that slide over the ends of the bars- yes they do work. We don't use them around Central Ontario(not cold enough/fast enough riding) but we use them faithfully when we go up to Cochrane/Hearst/ Hornepayne for a week every February.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i was at my buddies fourwheeling the other day 2 pairs of gloves the nsome big thick winter gloves over top and my hands still froze after an hr.. also no windshield but does the sled windshield cut down that much on wind?

last sled I drove was a 440 indy 92 .. no winshield at all died everytime I drove

For the few bucks extra I think imma go wiht the gsx.. sno goer states its actually 15 lbs lighter then the adrenaline and if I wanna take my gf along strap the seat on the back I supose..

·
Registered
222 Posts
"No such thing as a GSX"Blizzard". Blizzards are actually Black and white. They are not offered in a 500SS."

is the blue and white just an option because the dealer told me it was a blizzard package.. he dont know much more hten I do i suppose.. sorry nube here to the 10 different packages for every skidoo sled haha.. im trying to get it all down.

so for the extra 500 worth getting gsx 500ss then? mirrors and crap on it also[/b]
I believe Blue/white was the only colour that an 07 GSX 500SS came in. There's a plate on the right hand side of the tunnel below the seat which states what model the sled is, the model #, build date and the VIN of the sled.

$500 is getting you electric start, mirrors and a tunnel bag. The bag automatically comes with a GSX($100 value).

link to Ski-Doo info

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks alot, Im sure you're getting annoyed wiht all my amateur stupid question. sorry guys!

just hopin to learn a little something before I go for the plunge.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts