Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I REMEMBER GIRARD KARPIK SAYING THERE WERE TWO KINDS OF RACERS. CHEATERS AND LOSERS. UNLESS I'M TOTALLY OUT OF TOUCH, 120+M.P.H. IN 1000' FOR A 600 IMPROVED SLED IS A BIT MUCH. WE RUN A 670 FORMULA Z IMPROVED. SATURDAY IT RAN 108.17 IN 1000'. I KNOW THIS COULD BE A BETTER SLED WITH MORE TESTING BUT IT STILL HAS TAKEN IT'S SHARE OF TROPHIES. WHEN A SLED IN A LOWER CLASS BEATS OUR SLED BY 12 M.P.H. IN 1000' I'M SEEING A RED FLAG. AM I WRONG HERE? AT RADAR RUNS WHERE THEY LIFT HOODS OUR SLED HAS TAKEN SEVERAL FIRST PLACE TROPHIES. IN CABLE WI THEY DON'T LIFT HOODS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You are right ! I have a real hard time beleiving that was an improved stock 600 ! even the 700 and 800 speeds where out of line !

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ROTAX 670. WERE YOU RUNNING A SLED AT CABLE? I LEFT RIGHT AFTER LOOKING AT THE POSTED SPEEDS. I PULLED MY H.O. OFF THE TRAILER AND WENT FOR A RIDE. I LOVE THAT AREA OF THE STATE. SOMEONE TOLD ME TOP SPEED OF THE DAY WAS 154. DID YOU STICK AROUND ALL DAY? THERE WERE MORE THAN A FEW DISGRUNTLED RACERS THAT LEFT EARLY.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have gone 114mph with my 96 improved 600 Formula 111 ski-doo. So in a 1000 ft. I would shoot for just under 120. A Pro stock 600 which could have a larger than stock bored carb, could turn 120 plus. A triple will make  a few more ponies in improved than a twin, in the 162 hp. range. Weight of a Pro stock is also less than improved. They should have opened hood and weighed sleds at least. Sorry for the bad luck. I raced a 98 F-Z 670 when it was new and got 2nd for season in MSDRS Drags and won  the only radar run at 99 mph in 800ft.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Was that a 600 trip/trip, or a twin?  I have seen several Imp. 600 trips get close to 120(between 113mph to 117mph) in 1000', but never actualy hit 120 or more.  I'm sure he has it bored out and is not running an honest Imp. 600, but like I said, I have seen several honest guys get close to that, for what it's worth....
Sorry about the bad luck though.  I've been there several times.  Like one guy said he had a stock XCR w/studs and ran 108.4mph on a realy crappy track with a strong head wind.  Pure BS if you ask me!
Everyone else was running around 96-98 with one other guy that ran 101.3mph that day in that class.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'M NOT SURE WHAT SLED IT WAS OR WHAT IT HAD FOR A POWERPLANT. I WAS TOO BUSY WRENCHING. I'M ASSUMING IT WAS A THREE HOLER. THERE WAS A 20 M.P.H. HEADWIND ON THE TRACK. THE DRIVER WASN'T WATCHING EITHER. HE'S NOT REALLY UP ON WHAT'S WHAT FOR SLEDS. HE'S JUST A FAMILY GUY WHO LIKES TO GO FAST. IMPROVED STOCK MEANS STOCK CHASSIS. I DID NOTICE A FEW GUYS RUNNING WAHL BROS. SUSPENSIONS AND ALUMINUM SKIS IN IMPROVED STOCK. I GO TO A LOT OF RADAR RUNS. MANY OF THE SPEEDS WERE WAY OUT OF LINE IN CABLE. ONE OF THE PROBLEMS AT THE RADAR RUNS IS THE "TECH" PEOPLE. THEY DON'T KNOW A ROTARY VALVE FROM A REED VALVE. IF YOU LOOK AT THE DOUBLE D TESTING AND RACING RESULTS IN CANADA YOU CAN GET A REAL PICTURE OF WHAT THE SPEEDS SHOULD BE. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT HONOR ANYONE CAN GET FROM CHEATING. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE NSSR RESULTS FOR IMPROVED STOCK SLEDS.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, I found some NSSR results from 1997. Things haven't changed that much:
IS 440 Pol. 99.196
IS 500 Doo 103.597
IS 600 Pol 113.551
IS 700 Pol 118.356
IS 800 Pol 121.861
IS 900 Cat 122.553
IS 1000 Doo 127.437

Auggie

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS AUGGIE. WAS THIS ASPHALT OR ICE AND WHAT DISTANCE? ARE ANY OF THESE RECORDS?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ice, 1000' and this was the end of the year results so I would guess that most of them were records.

Auggie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts