Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my pistons in my 02mxz800 . there are cageless bearing in there now. To make the install easy for me I was going to install caged bearings what is the advantage of cageless bearings.?

would you recommend me using the caged bearings.?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I am replacing my pistons in my 02mxz800 . there are cageless bearing in there now. To make the install easy for me I was going to install caged bearings what is the advantage of cageless bearings.?

would you recommend me using the caged bearings.?[/b]
cageless= more rollers to spread the load over.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Any trick to installing the cagles type....with engine in the sled ?[/b]
Small socket and grease to hold them around it them push the socket through with the wrist pin.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any trick to installing the cagles type....with engine in the sled ?[/b]
Thats what i am worried about losing just one of those little pins .when taking apart or putting it back toghether. :crazy: :crazy: :unsure:

i feel safer with the cageless bearings. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thats what i am worried about losing just one of those little pins .when taking apart or putting it back toghether. :crazy: :crazy: :unsure:

i feel safer with the cageless bearings. :rolleyes:[/b]
The funny thing is when I did my top end, I had all my problems when I was taking the bearings out of the old pistons. LOL I dropped one down past the case. But a magnet quickly found it. Just place a rag over the crank case and remove them very slowly listening and watching. Installing them was way easier than removing them. Also I think the number is 28 per side, just count to make sure you have them all and didn't leave any behind.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i have rebuilt motors with both type of bearings and i think the cageless are much better than the plastic caged ones. like dave600 said, stuff a rag around the crankcase and be careful that none find their way into the bottom of the case. i like to use a piston pin puller to remove them.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Caged is better IMO .I had a sea doo with cageless and the clip came out and they went everywhere and ripped the motor in shreds . One even got caught between the rotary valve and the intake , chipping the intake.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Caged is better IMO .I had a sea doo with cageless and the clip came out and they went everywhere and ripped the motor in shreds . One even got caught between the rotary valve and the intake , chipping the intake.[/b]
how did they get past the pin or piston? :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts