Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved from Kamloops, BC to Calgary, AB and was wondering if anyone knew of any rides I could do in one day (powder riding). I know there is Revy and Crowsnest Pass but they both more of a weekend ride, I think, due to the amount of driving. Anything within 2-3 hrs of Calgary?

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
686 Posts
I just moved from Kamloops, BC to Calgary, AB and was wondering if anyone knew of any rides I could do in one day (powder riding). I know there is Revy and Crowsnest Pass but they both more of a weekend ride, I think, due to the amount of driving. Anything within 2-3 hrs of Calgary?
Thanks,

Shawn
[/b]
Not too much for powder riding around Calgary, just mainly trail riding. Local areas are Maclean Creek which is west of Bragg Creek, Waiparous which is northwest of Cochrane on highway 940, and Cataract Creek which is southwest of Calgary. Go to Longview and travel west on highway 40 to where the road will be closed in the winter. Turn left onto highway 940 . There are two staging areas along this road on the right side. You can't go any further than the second one with your vehicle as they will have a gate across it. Cataract trails are groomed. South end of trail system links up with north Crowsnest trail system. You can also access Elkford trail system from the north end of Cataract trail system.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks retiredpop! It's nice to have areas close so a guy can get out and make sure the machine is running right before a longer trip. Sounds like a few good places to take the family as well!

Thanks again...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually , within 2-3 hours of Calgary there's lots of riding..Crowsnest , sparwood , Elkford , Fernie and the flathead..Cranbrooks only 3 1/2 ..Lots of riding the other way {trans canada} as well...You'll be OK..Here's a picture of the Flathead.[attachmentid=23210]

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice pic! Ya, I need some of that a few times a year to keep my sanity!

Retiredpop...when does the season start at McLean. I'm on the south end of Calgary so that's only 30 min from my house! Would be nice to go for a quick ride some place close! I was out in Bragg Creek this week and see on a map that there is sledding out the west end of Elbow River....is this part of the McLean Creek area?

ttyl Shawn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts