Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right i got $1000 to put into my 2002 mxz 800 rer,1800miles on it. 144 studs. I've read all the other threads and lets just say it's getting confusing. I like aggressive trail riding and don't want to be imbarassed in the occasional drag race. Ride mostly 700 to 3000' elev. Decissions,decissions, what to doo! help :cussing:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hold the throttle to the handle bar :cheesy: .

I would say Clutch kit and V force reeds. All depends on how fast you want to be from there. You could get into different pistons etc

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
:) Leave the motor alone, and clutch it. Have fun, testing and tuning.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Originally posted by mxzadr800@Oct 8 2002, 06:00 AM
All right i got $1000 to put into my 2002 mxz 800 rer,1800miles on it. 144 studs. I've read all the other threads and lets just say it's getting confusing. I like aggressive trail riding and don't want to be imbarassed in the occasional drag race. Ride mostly 700 to 3000' elev. Decissions,decissions, what to doo! help :cussing:
You're getting good advice here.

I would suggest picking up a good clutch kit, some clutching tools and some various weights and springs to get started.

Maybe a headlight cover/chrome windshield/bar ends/bar riser would also dress it up a little as a finisher.

-Rob

·
Registered
756 Posts
V Force, clutching is the way to go.
Grip it & rip it.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I can't say for sure but I think it was Dooman that was saying thatthe Vforce arn't worth the extra 75-100 as the Boyseen reeds give you like 1-2hp and the v's 2-3. Not enoung difference for the money. So if money is tight it's a consideration.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
RKT head, boyseen reeds, clutching, clutching clutching. If you want, upgrade the track. Take some weight off of it. The pipe is allot better on the 02 than the 01.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all those who responded. My sled is already dressed up. I guess by the sounds of it the rkt head and clutching. How much for the head and what do i need to do to put it on, better yet what else has to be adjusted or do you just slap it on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would call Goodwin Performance at 847-872-4001 and order their RER clutch kit for your 800 ($329.95). It will shave .4 seconds off your 0-60 time, and about the same for your 500' and 660' distances as well as picking up about 3 mph at each. They are the leaders in the RER clutching, and I have several of their clutch kits for Doos, including a RER 700. If you are local to them, have them install it, or a GOOD mechanic. You must properly shim the secondary and index the clutches, otherwise performance will suffer dramatically and you will eat belts. For the trail, I would drop a tooth or two on the small sproket ($30) but you may have to replace the chain ($60). That you can do yourself...use good chaincase oil! If you have not had your shocks rebuilt yet, do so. Stock shocks, especially the HPGs, have notoriously cheap oil and seals in the shock. Your suspension will really wake up after the rebuild. Goodwin can do that too, for about $30 per shock. I have heard good things about the new V-Force 3 reeds ($320) but have not actually tried them. I have heard they are good for 3-7 HP in the right setting. I would leave the motor alone. As soon as you mess with porting, milling, pipes, etc... you need to do some real testing to figure out the clutching and jetting. For a trail sled, just tun the thing...

Also, if you do not have a DPM sled, look into Holtzman's Tempaflow. ($150) It is a substitute for a DPM, and works well. A couple of my buddies have them on their ZR's and love them.

Hope this helps... :D

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Just call RK Tech about the head (www.2strokeheads.com) and talk to Kelsey. They will give you a head custom to your sled and needs.

Then it will be very near a drop on thing. Just ask the guys who have them, they work very nice and will give you some MPG and allot better acceration and top end.

They will also give you some specs on the clutching

·
Registered
171 Posts
Go with the head and do this piston mod we have tried it and it works.

All Jason will need is you to ship your pistons to him and within three days he will send them back. hes seen gains in the 9-12hp range, and huge bottom end response, with just this done.

Jason Houle
Straightline Performance
651-466-0212

Talk to John Wilmer he has a great clutch set up (800) 543-2792

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still skeptical about the piston thing. If it's that much, someone would be coming out with flawless pistons for the 800 soon. I'll play the waiting game i've got time. Trails don't open till dec. 15 :D I never touched a clutch so i guess i'm going to have to trust my local shop :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
i wouldn't waste the money on V-force reeds, all i have seen come from them on a doo twin is a little added throttle response, thats about it spend a few dollars in clutching parts and start testing, doesn't take long to learn and its good stuff to know, if you get stuck just post the questions on here sorta hard to mess with ramps(they are expensive to buy, so if you can, just barrow them for testing anyway)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with Kid Rocker, clutch it and ride it. If you're really bent on spending more, get an 1 1/4 track first, then clutch it. Then sell your existing track to help offset the cost. What ever you decide, have fun with it! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go with what Garrett said, spend the money on a 1.25" track, then re-pick it and clutch it. You'll find the track will provide the best acceleration for the buck. Then go race that Jiddru guy, I think you can take him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts