Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 MXZ 800 with the stock 1" track with 192 1.075" Woody's Gold Diggers.  After 4,000 hard miles the track is ripping apart.  So far 3 studs have totally ripped through, with 1 causing the side to rip apart.  I am in need of a new track and am wondering if I should buy Kimpex or Camoplast.  The new Kimpex X-Trail track seems like it would be great for agressive cross-country trail riding - it has unique side angle lugs and 1" center lugs.  I also like the Camoplast Predator tracks 690-9830 and 690-9818.  I am not sure if I should stick with the 1" or move to a 1.25".  I would like to only put 96 or 144 studs down the middle.  With the type of riding I do, it seems like the side lugs and studs take all the abuse.  Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Blaise~  I myself would buy the 1.25 camoplast predator track and put in 144 studs!

·
Registered
756 Posts
camoplast is the way to go. studs will live better in center only, less abuse. I would not use the kimpex track. send me a message i sell camoplast & kimpex products. I would give you a good price on tracks, I am also in the adirondacks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i agree dont go with the kimpex i think the camoplast is a higher quality track (why do you think camoplast makes tracks for cat pol and doo, i dont know what yamaha uses now but they used to use yokomah or something like that dont know what they use now though

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yamaha used yokohama tracks for years, they s*ck. delamination, belt failures even when ridden easy. The kimpex is not as flexable or fast as a camoplast. Yamaha finally for 2003 will be using mostly or all camoplast tracks in production.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Go with the Camoplast, I used a Kimpex once never again.   All my sleds run Camoplast now. Much stronger track.    I would go with the 1.25" Predator track(finger track) and use the studs in the middle if I were you.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I ran the predator 1.25 unstudded (#9818) on 2 different sleds for about 12000 kliks before it started to show signs of wear. A great track it took lots of abuse and low snow conditions of the winter of 2000.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems as if everyone is for Camoplast, now I have to decide on the conicle lug or the regular lug track. I know that Woody's reccomends 192 studs for the MXZ800, would it be OK to run only 96 or 144 down the middle?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes it would be OK down the middle. As long as you keep your stud penetration depth down.

·
Registered
978 Posts
go with 1.25" with 96 studs down the middle just like most snow cross sleds are set up. I had a kimpex speed track with 192 studs, then lowered it to 168 close to the middle after 1100 miles the track blew apart. Now I have a bomb. 1.25 with 96 in the middle, and the track still looks like new after 2300 miles on it. You give up some top end with it but gain ever-were else!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Camoplast all the way.   You could run the same pattern as you did with the 192, but just don't do the outer belts

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I would  buy the camoplast, but I don't think I would jump on the 1.25 bandwagon so fast.I personally like the 1.187 challenger,I installed one for a guy and I will tell you it flat out hooks-up in loose snow better than my buds 1.25 mxz-x track.there are several riders on here that run this track and all I know of love it.it has full block lug rather than the broken pattern.one other thing its a lil' cheaper than the 1.25 tracks

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Sorry about my first post there!  I forgot about an article I read in Snow Tech that said if you run a 1.25 inch track you should only put in 96 studs only downt he middle.  If more, you have a better chance of damaging the lugs. You should get that mag and take a look!  It's in the Ask Ralph section.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Blaise~ it's the one that has "rare breeds on it" and "fine tuning the m-10 suspension" and "168hp viper"  on it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts