Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I've got an all alum featherlite enclosed 4 place trailer and my cousin has a Floe 10' with protector. He doesn't think my Attak GT will fit in his trailer. We had been talking about getting a sled deck, or making one of our own. The reason we're considering the sled deck is for weekend jaunts we can make, and save on fuel mileage as pulling a trailer drops the mpg more than just having a load on the truck. I've recently bought a 3/4 ton 06 GMC diesel quad cab and have the 6.5' bed..

I was thinking that if we took an old alum 2 place trailer, (tilt) and removed the axle and tongue, that we'd have our deck. Preferrably a 8' x 8' trailer, as the track can hang off the back, and a beaver tail could be welded on. Oh, we'd have to make a ramp too.

So, if it doesn't work, we only have $500 or so into it, we could just bolt the axel and tongue back on and sell it as is. A new sled deck is between $2,000 - $3,000

What do you think? Will this work? Will it be too heavy? Will it need too much reinforcement? I apprecaite your thoughts.

CHeers,
joel

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I've been thinking of something like this but never pulled the trigger. I think it would be hard to load the sleds up that high, that's my main concern. I don't know how high your truck bed is but mine's way up there. A long and sturdy enough ramp would do the job, but it's going to have to be pretty long and have good traction for the track. My carbides hook up on everything and can turn the sled sideways in a second...you don't want that when you're four feet off the ground on a custom ramp. I would think there are lots of ways you could do a custom sled deck, and what you suggest would be one. Please post pics if you make it happen. Getting 2 sleds on the bed and pulling 2 on the trailer is a personal goal of mine. I have 4 sleds but no parking spot for a bigger trailer, so right now I can only take 3 at a time (one in the bed). It would also give me a ton more traction on my rear axle for the 2wd (which it needs), and it would finally start justify that 9MPG engine I've never needed.

Anyway good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think it's very dooable.

Just make sure your ramp is long enough to cut down the approach angle. (10' -12')
It would have to be built in 2 sliding sections.

Weld a box frame under the trailer bed and fasten it down using the the current bed hooks and turnbuckles. I'd suggest a headache rack to protect the rear window be welded on as well.
No matter how good you may think you are at loading, sooner or later, you'll get too close. LOL

Here's a link to a pro built model that looks like it works well.
Scroll down to see how it's fastened down.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=157410

They do make mention in that thread about mounting it on at least a 3/4 ton truck.
Two sleds, the deck and gear will easily put you over a 1/2 ton.
Could effect how it handles. Icy winter roads isn't where you want to mess with your trucks handling. What's your truck that you plan to plant this on?

Here's another but not a lot of detail there.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154577

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's a pic of my truck we plan on mounting this on...

06 GMC 2500 HD Duramax diesel

Attachments

·
10,054 Posts
my biggest question is, your gonna have the ramp at home to load them, how you gonna unload and then reload them?? Is the ramp going to be capable of folding down and loading into the truck?? I guess I am picturing some sort of ramp we see freestyle riders using for jumps and you would need a trailer for the ramp,,, guess I must not be thinking far enough outside the box.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what I'd like to build.. the ramp could be slid either in the bed hanging out, or perhaps between the sleds standing on it's side?? just an idea... or slide it under the the deck as I've seen some production models have...

Here's a pic of one I'd like to make...

·
Registered
795 Posts
What type of truck were you using before? That 06 GMC diesel should tow that trailer no problem & your fuel mileage shouldn't change alot. Nice truck :thumbsup: I just picked up a 03 Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.6 diesel. Can't wait to see how she tows :D

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts