Snowmobile World banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 zl 500, When i am goin after about ten mins or when it gets hot my sled well die right out and quiet after letting it sit there for a few min choke it and it goes again for the same amount of time and same thing happens. I tryed a new cdi and a new coil thoughs wernt it. I was told that it has to be a stator but i was also told that when stators go the go your sled wont start. Any suggestions you be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Why don't you run it till it dies and take the spark plugs out and see if it sparks. If not then be suspicious of the part you haven't looked at.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Why don't you run it till it dies and take the spark plugs out and see if it sparks. If not then be suspicious of the part you haven't looked at.[/b]

I would bet it`s the stator ,but Thumbdoctors idea is a cheap test to do compared to a few hundred bucks for a stator just to find out it was something else . M

·
Registered
95 Posts
Had a 98 ZL440 ran like a champ for 15min ,sometimes 30, sometimes 2hr, but would slowly die out & quit . Began with hard starting & progressed to that. had around 4kmi. Finally in the middle of a week trip at tug hill it quit for good , finally long enough to test the problem , spent a whole day chasing new & used parts (very nice people up there) plugged in everything from most accessable to the hardest in order, until we pulled the flywheel on site & did a test on the charge coil (stator) & found it bad . Would'nt ya know it It was the only thing that NO-ONE had anywhere nearby enough to get. we had 6 guys & 3 women on cell phones searching. Oh well it was ex-wifeys sled ,Her & that cat spent some quality time at the cabin. Oh i picked her up & rode her to dinner ,im not that mean ! :devil:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have been having the same exact problem with my sled. We do a lot of work on snowmobiles over the winter too. Never seen anything like the problem we are having.... Tested the stator.... it was good..... coils good...... cdi box.... good..... had srong spark..... couldn't figure it out..... You would ride it then it seemed to choke itself dead. Wouldn't start for 10 to 15 min... My problem was that the fuel line in the tank was brittle and the end with the weight broke off.... the line was loose in there and when it got next to the side of the tank it would stop the gas from getting in...... I dont know if this helps but that was my problem.... sounds like it could be yours especially if that line has never been changed....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the fuel line thing but i already put new fuel lines on the whole sled thats the first thing i did. i am really stumped i never tryed a stator but i would hate to spend that much for one and it not be one.

·
Registered
185 Posts
there is one other thing and I know it would suk but checking the crank seals. If the seals start heating up say after bout 10 mins, well you can imagine the repracusions, compression air leak and such. Prolly not but sumthin to check. Seen it before with same symtoms. The seal wasnt completely shot and would only heat up after the sled warmed up, took us awile to figure that one out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Crank seals could possibly be I had years ago an old (80) moto ski grand prix would run great till it warmed up then would barly idle no power wouldn't even load itself back onto the trailer turned out to be crank case seals. I don't know much but do know two strokes don't like extra air leaks.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Thanks for the fuel line thing but i already put new fuel lines on the whole sled thats the first thing i did.[/b]
Did you make sure not to pinch off the vent tube on the top of the tank? Very easy to do on that sled.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
pinched fuel line under the airbox??

it happenned to me earlier this year

I changed my fuel lines

My sled ran for 20minutes and died and only would run on choke

I got towed back

As suspected,when I put the airbox on I pinched the fuel line

·
Registered
120 Posts
pinched fuel line under the airbox??

It definately sounds like you are running lean.... burning up and then when it is cold your running good again??????? have you changed the jets in your carbs?????? whatever it is, it sounds lke you are going getting enough gas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts