Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10' Triton tilt and last week when loading my sled onto the trailer some guy next to me said that i should place the skis on to the deck before I throw it onto the trailer. He said that if I drove right on I could chip off the carbides. In all of my years of sledding I have never heard of such a thing and common sense tells me that we know carbide is stronger then aluminum. Just wondering if there is any truth to this statement. Thanks

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Never going to happen.  I wouldn't give it a second thought.

FishHog

P.S. Of course having said that, it will happen to me next time I load mine.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
It shouldn't happen -- but bad things happen to good people, know what I mean? I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
the only thing you'll hurt is the bottom edge of your triton!mine's all scratched up there-of course you drive a pantera (arctic boat)-and you know how heavy they are. ;)

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
powderboy,
i agree with the guy that was next to you, i have seen them catch and stop the sled it has to loosen the carbide. i always put a 2x4 at the bottom of the trailer on the ground before i load {right now a 4x4}. the board has come in handy a couple of times once when a buddy got a flat on his trailer because we didn't have a proper jack to lift the trailer.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you can chip your carbides off loading onto a trailer you better buy a different brand. I don't know who makes the Polaris ones but the set I currently run  is finally wearing out after 14,000 miles, more than five miles of which have been gravel and rock of windswept mountain tops. Don't sweat it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In all your years of sledding you must get tired of trying to yank those sleds off with the carbides grabbing the deck or either ya got reverse or drive off.   Ski boots or trailer guides are the way to go.

·
Registered
69 Posts
THE CARBIDE IS ONLY AS STRONG AS THE BRAZING HOLDING IT TO THE WEAR ROD,SO YES IT COULD CHIP OFF. GET SOME PLASTIC SLIDES IF YOUR WORRIED.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My sled stopped dead when may carbide hit the egde of my trailer last year, I thought I broke my wrist.  And I am now missing a carbide wear pad.  Aluminum may be soft but it stopped my 500 pound sled like hittin a wall.  Then I had to do the " I hope no one was watching" head turn.

R

·
0 Posts
I can tell you that if you hit a rock or train track it will crack or chip carbide. Then if you hit the aluminum on the deck it could finish the crack to a chip.

I had a chance to go to Woody's for a plant visit a couple of years ago. The carbide they buy is the lowest price they can get to fit the product line they make. This is the same grade of carbide that they use on the snow plow blades that go down the road. When they buy carbide pieces like that I would bet that they have some cracks in them before you ride. By the way they did make stock wear bars for A.C.  and Polaris at that time. I would love to get a dollar for every set of wear bars purchased.

The best thing is to install the boots on your ski's before you drive it on the trailer. This saves the deck of the trailer and it also protects the wear bars. The next time your on the trail and you hear that big wack it was the carbide hitting a rock or something. Either way they are going to break or wear out and you will need to purchase new for the next season.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Carbide is very hard, but it is also very brittle. The cold conditions only make it more brittle. You would be suprised at how little it can take to chip one if it is hit at an odd angle.

Lee

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have also stopped my sled suddenly when the carbides hit the trailer.  I have chipped mine.  I would try to make something so it doesn't happen again.  the 4x4 board was a good idea, and cheap.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
You have to goose the throttle to get the skilift so the skis just fall on the trailer.  THen slam the brake.  WORKS EVERY TIME.  

Carbides do chip but i dont worry about them.  Its a wear item and its doing just that. Wearing!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Would not be concerned considering all of the things they run over on the trail.  In my 10 years of sledding have stuffed a few tail lights but never had a carbide problem.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies guys. Better to be safe then sorry. I found a piece of 4" wide plastice and tacked in onto the trailer at the bottom. Seems to go on easier and come off easier. With the XT 10 I sometimes jacknife the trailer and just jump em' off the front. Quick and painless and I dont have to worry about catching the snowflap on the way down.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Powderboy,

I had the same problem with my ZL500.... she caught the triton trailer edge and stopped my butt dead..... got home, told good old dad about it, next time I go to load the sled, I see two white vinyl siding mouldings slipped on the edge of the trailer where the skis would go up on the trailer, works like a champ... cheap too!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts