Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '85 vmax 540, I'm building into a prostocker for the ice. If I build and use a cool-down box in between races, can I remove all the rear heat exchangers, leaving only the radiator? Or will I still have heating issues?
thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you leave the radiator, you can remove the rear heat exchangers. There should be enough time between races to allow the sled to cool down. You shouldn't have any heating issues because the motor won't be running that long, plus the outside temperature will also help keep the motor cool. Just be sure to check and make sure it not getting too hot.

I am setting up my T'Cat for the grass without the stock heat exchangers or the radiator. Only a small motorcyce radiator with a fan on it will keep it cool while racing. Of course I also have a cool cart for between runs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 1000 t-cat I run on 1/4 mile asphalt. I pulled all the heat exchangers off and mounted a radiator off an old v-max on it. I do not have a fan and it tucked under the air dam in the front . so it does not get much air. I go from about 90 degrees at the startingline to about 170 degrees at the end of the 1/4 mile.
Pretty hot for only 9 1/2 seconds of running. But I do tow it back to the pits and I also have cool down cart. I know alot of people do not run any kind of radiator
or heat exchangers for ice racing. Just the coolant in the motor then use the cool down box between runs. I think you will be fine doing what you want to do.
Remember heat exchangers plus the water in them weigh alot.
Donot forget to remove the thermostat so you can run your cool down through. :undercover:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts