Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my zr 580, I have the factory "smoke" windshield. I would like to make it solid black. If I paint the back of it non glossy black, will it look like the solid black windshields you buy? Or has someone tried this and it looks like crap?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have done this and like the way it turned out. Make sure you use a Flat Black and you will be fine. Clean it up good before you do it and make sure there is no oil or grease on it. Good luck!

·
Registered
190 Posts
here's mine painted with flat black .

make sure its clean and paint it on the inside muliple thin coats not one thick coat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My friend just painted mine for me and it looks awsome. Here are a couple of pointers. Do alot of thin coats to prevent the paint from cracking. It took about 6-7 coats before you couldn't see any light threw it. He also said to heat the windshield up a little bit before you spray it helps the paint stink better.

1.99 for a can of paint vrs. 80 bucks for a new windshield

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The best paint to use is one with a flex agent such as a bumper and trim paint. Any body shop supply house should be able to fix you up.
Rick.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Acrylic lacquer will attach to lexan winshields and not crack or peel off. This what we use to paint those lexan RC model car bodies. Paint the inside of the windshield and reverse your pattern so that is is viewed from the out side of the windshield. If you do more than one color, start with the darkest color first (black) and end with the lightest color (white). Good luck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
what about using other colers then black. like flourecent orange or green i like lot's of coler on my sleds and i think a green or orange windshield would be pretty wicked. what do you think , and where would i get that color , at. SWRules :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I painted my windshield on my old sled. I thought it turned out good. It took SEVERAL coats of paint to get the look I was going for, but worth it in the end. I started with a few coats of flat black and then went with several coats of high gloss black.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Enginerd@Dec 1 2002, 10:14 PM
Acrylic lacquer will attach to lexan winshields and not crack or peel off. This what we use to paint those lexan RC model car bodies. Paint the inside of the windshield and reverse your pattern so that is is viewed from the out side of the windshield. If you do more than one color, start with the darkest color first (black) and end with the lightest color (white). Good luck.
Can this be purchased at your "Wal-Marts" in a spray can?

·
Registered
166 Posts
My brother has been painting classic cars for 10 years. He just scuffs the inside of the sled windshield with a scotch brite pad, wipes it down with a little prep-solvent and paints it using thin coats of Krylon Satin Black paint from spray cans. It is pretty much the same as what we do when we paint the backs of our Vent-Visor's on our trucks. Never peels, or cracks. We have been doing this on sled windshields since the early 90's. Never had a problem. It is a lot easier now that they just sell these windshileds.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Acrylic lacquer can be purchased at an auto paint store. Its not used much any more except by custom rod builders. You will have to use some kind of paint spray gun, I use an air brush on the RC car bodies. Adding some color pearl to black paint really looks cool with the sun hits it. SWRules

1 - 12 of 12 Posts