Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I'm a newby to the snowmobile world so bear with me on this. I recently purchased a 1995 Mountain Cat 580 EXT EFI that was not running when I picked it up. I had been setting for 2.5 years so I drained all the gas, cleaned the fuel rail, cleaned the injectors and removed the rear clutch to lube it up. After all this it would not run unless the throttle was held in hence the great TSS was not working properly either. Once I took care of all these issues and took it for a 19mile ride I noticed it didn't seem to be laying down the power right and I burnt 21 liters of fuel in that short ride. It would work ok up to 55mph but then crawl slowly like it had no power past that.
Now after I wen't to take it for a small drive today it would lose all power at the clutch engagement point. When I finially got it back to the garage I looked for some posts on here that led me to test the Throttle position sensor and this is what I found: @ 0 Throttle .09v and at full throttle 1.2v. I beleive it should be a bit .06v at no throttle and 4.5v at wide open. I fooled with it for a while and decided to see if the sled would run with it disconnected which to my surprise it did and also worked like a brand new sled. Problem solved I thought but is it possible to run this sled this way or are there problems that will come up later? Also will it continue to eat gas this bad with it gone or is there an adjustment that can be made to control this?

The last thing I noticed on this sled is there is a very small leak of oil coming from the bottom of part #10. The amount of oil coming from here is very minimal but should I be concerned about that?

Thanks In advance for all of your help! I have found just about everything I have needed so far here and hope I can contribute myself someday.

Here Kitty Kitty!!
[attachment=33704:95ETA_30_s.gif]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well, I am not 100% sure, but here is my opinion on this. I am guessing the TPS is used like it is on the carb models, which I understand it to do no more than adjust timing. It surprises me that it is like this on a EFI also, but I can see it. I am guessing that you can run it fine like this, but you are not getting full power. I bet the TPS raises timing as you increase throttle. ANd brings it back down while starting it and light throttle. Check your plugs, and ride it, but keep your eyes out for a used one. You might not notice much difference once you do get it working, but should be faster, that is what I think. I don't think youll hurt anything without it, excpet your spirit when you loose that big race.

I would worry more about that oil leak honestly. Your crank seal is behind that plate, so if there is oil coming out there, it is getting past your seal. But it is a seal and all seals leak some. Just chekc your plugs and look for signs of leaning out that side. I don;t think you really should get a leak there though. You might be able to change that side without splitting the case, someone here should be able to tell you that, I don't know if you can. You are positive it is coming from there, not runnign down from the exhaust?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is it coming from 10 or is coming from under the water pump,about an inch directly back from the front of the pump is a drain hole coming from crankcase,when the oil seal goes on the water pump drive it will leak under the motor,if you get a mirror and look under the pump you should be able to see it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I will look further into the leak and I am looking for a used TPS in the mean time. I wont be doing any fast riding anyway as I would only be comfortable doing between 40-50mph. As for the leak it was the place that appeared to be the wettest under #10 but I will get a mirror and check it out like you suggested. Thanks a lot for the advice it is greatly appreciated. I will let you know the verdict when I check the leak again.

Thanks again

Happy trails!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts