Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of a friend just returned from a tour which took him and his sled via train into Canada.  He and his friends trailered their sleds to Mackinaw City...from there they loaded their sleds on a train and were taked about 8 hrs into Canada.  They rode for about 4 days.  Instead of taking the train back, they rode their sleds 250 miles in one day back to Michigan.
He couldn't quit smiling about the trip.

Have you been on one of these yet?  I hope to do this in a year or two.

·
Registered
530 Posts
No, but it sounds like a ton of fun if there is snow.  I might have to look into this type of event next year.  I just hope that the snow conditions are about 300% better.  

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like a great way to put a trip together. Hey, you could even FLY your rigs to Alaska and do something similar. (Fly to Anchorage. Drive to Nome, Fairbanks (along Iron Dog trail) back over to Dawson, Whitehorse (along Yukonquest dog sled race trail.) Check this out if you want to see some other possibilities:

http://geocities.com/tompictures/yukon.htm

Our snow this year is even better.......

·
Registered
61 Posts
hey golsovia nice pics from way up there. I notice your packing a rifle in some pics. Have you ever had a problem with any of the wildlife while your riding?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great pics, I wouldn't want to leave either.  Can't imagine all that available from your doorstep!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
They used to have a train program in effect starting in downtown toronto at union station. There was not enough intrest so they cancelled it. They didn't advertise it very good though IMO. Now if you want to catch the train you have too drive to the SOO. No thanxs . We were gonna use it this year to go to cochrane.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The rifle. I had forgotten we had that along. Carrying something is so automatic I generally don't know its along or remember it's there. I always carry at least a small revolver, a radio (VHF), and a gps along with a few other basic details like a tarp, a bit of food, and firemakings. The gun has three potential functions: survival food, signal, and protection. Since that trip was in April, bear protection was wise, not for riding, but in case we got stranded for some time.  I probably wouldn't have been around to be in those pictures if I didn't make a habit of carrying some type of weapon in my forays.

That was a really cool trip with a really great friend, a culmination of a dream that I have shared with other friends over the past several years. In that particular case everything worked out perfectly. The snow was good, the weather was perfect, the conditions on the rivers were just right, and we had the time......and should I add we had really super equipment: low miles machines

, lots of horsepower
, and you gotta love the thought of 300+ miles on an Indy Lite in a single day  
. Most of the trip was river miles on a river which is well known for its overflow. Had the weather been a few degrees warmer the previous week there would have probably been too much water under the ice and therefore on the ice, or if there had been more snow on the river the weight might have pushed the ice down so that there would have been overflow on the ice. As it was everything worked about perfectly with the exception of the broken radius rod which we remedied with a bit of rope. Tom, the rider of the Lite, claimed not to be sore the following day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts