Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research, and new sleds Canada are alot less $$$ in Canada on the MSRP than in the U.S, sometimes $1500 more! I went to Ski-Doo's site, and clicked on Canada/English and used the MXZREV800X with no options as comparison and it was $12,049 Canadian MSRP. The U.S. MSRP was 9,199.00. The Canadian MXZREV800X is only $7721.00 or a difference of 1,478 U.S. Dollars. Needless to say I was ticked so I e-mailed Ski-Doo and they beat around the bush in customer service not answering my simple question "WHY?" The second e-mail reply I got said...."you can buy your sled in Canada, but the dealer you choose will have to get authorization from Bombardier first". I thought it might be because of tariff's, but I found the same thing with Polaris and Yamaha, I can buy a U.S. Sled for less in Canada, makes sense dont it? I feel just because our "average" income is higher here in the states we are being hosed! I urge everyone who buys a sled in the states to at least e-mail them and tell them your opinion on this, because this is a case where they are clearly taking advantage of consumers. If I buy a new sled, I may buy in Canada, because it will give the MFG's less money, because obviously they are charging dealers up there less which means less $$$ for them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check out the car prices you will love that...
I priced a 2002 Tahoe Z-71 in the states $41K
I priced one in Canada it came out to $53K  
Convert that to US dollars and you get $33,930.00
AND that is what I can buy it for...

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
This was covered a while ago. I believe there are issues when transporting new sleds over the boarder that make it not worth trying to buy a Canadian sled and then bring it into the states. There is some kind of either legislation or company policy that prevents this sort of thing. Besides...$12 000 CDN is alot of money to us.

And besides...they keep the faster ones up here...you guys get the "de-tuned" safe for Americans versions  

Last edited by Rocketman at April 26, 2002, 8:47pm

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I understand the Tariff going across the Border is 2.5%, I dug this up, but I am not sure if I am missing something on the US Customs form I dont know about. I would verify before trying obviously.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And besides...they keep the faster ones up here...you guys get the "de-tuned" safe for Americans versions[/b][/quote].....That hurt!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I couldn't resist  

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
no booing in the peanut section  

canadian dealers are not supposed to sell cross border it says it in the franchise agreement cars, sleds and most big ticket items like those. but if a dealer will sell to a US buyer then first have your ducks in a row at the US customs to see what other costs will grab you.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I know in my area of some guys that have crossed the border into Quebec and bought Polaris atv's for over $1000.00 less than here in the US, the NAFTA agreement helped that out alot, there is some fee at the border but I have heard the Canadian dealer will bring the machine across the border for like $50.00 saving you the customs hassel, the downfall is that these guys were told no warrenty, so you are taking a small chance there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am dealing with a guy that buys from the dealers and then sells them. The dealers are not allowed to sell to the states. BUT if you buy them second hand its fine. One of the guys I work with is getting a new 2500HD Crew 4X4 Duramax SLT  $35,000.
Thats with all the paper work title everything done for him.
He will have to pay tax in the states.
He will be the second owner BUT who cares at that price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts