Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent trip to Door county my recoil broke, No problem we weren't that far from where we started so we started her up with the spare rope around the clutch and made it back. I took the recoil to the dealer(excellent dealer) and they rebuilt it. The mechanic who usually will tell me anything I ask, said there was a c-clip that broke, I told him I know, I had half of it with me. He said I must find the other half because it could be in by the flywheel,magneto and mess everything up if it happened to be in there and got lodged. I took his advice got the flywheel puller, popped her off and found the piece he was referring to. Put it all back together- the flywheel, recoil, etc. Everything was back together but the exhaust which was off for access to the recoil assembly-I'll call it. We ran out of time the day we were working on it, So I just didn't put the exhaust back together, Which means I did not run it after we put it back together, just pulled it to see if everything was spinning as it should when you pull the rope and it was. Well last night, the night before I am supposed to leave to go up north, I go to put the exaust back together, sealed her everything was perfect. Choked it pulled it three times and she fired up as normal. It only ran for about 5-10 seconds,backfired and killed. Never got it started again, only thing it would do is backfire if we were lucky every 10-15 pulls. I think there is a problem with the timing but I don't know if you guys can help me it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way it's an 2000 mxz 700

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Same here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
hey, sorry, I don't know why you can't start but I wanted to share that my pull rope came out on me after only 250 miles on my 02 mxz700.   Dealer covered it of course but its still a pain to haul it over and back to get it fixed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have you checked all the obvious like spark, gas in cylinders, fouled plugs, etc?  If you have the shop manual there are some simple electrical tests you can perform with a multimeter to tell you if your ignition generating coil (magneto) and trigger coil are working corectly.  Let us know what you find...  Good luck!
BTW  Those Ski-Doo (or should I say Rotax) recoils are nothing but junk in my opinion.  Everyone is having problems with them.  Mine has broke 3 times in 4000 miles (2001 MXZ800)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is your gas on?  It's stupid....but it's possible.  Like the other guys said, did you try all the simple things?  Good luck with your sled.

-Josh

·
Registered
103 Posts
Steimy,
Did you get the "KEY" back in when you put the fly wheel back on?  Also, check to see if the trigger coil may have been bent or the gap opened to far. (I think you should  have a trigger coil.)  The gap should be around .018.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
msimpsom, that's exactly what we thought happened, the key sheared, throwing off the timing.

1. Gas is on
2. I have spark in both plugs
3. Key is still intact

I called and talked to the mechanic again and he said there still might be a small piece of metal in there grounding out the magnetic, that would not allow the ignition to work he said.

I'm going to try some things tonight to see if I can get her going, I'll tell you guys what happens, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hey horsecollar,  drive that thing into a tree and get insurance money.!  
  Then its a done deal, so you can get a Firecat,  you've been talking about!!
j/k

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We unloaded in New Franken and rode all the way up to Egg harbor, I think it was, I remember going over Kangaroo lake. We didn't quite make it to Gills Rock.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SLED UPDATE: WE pulled the flywheel off again, cleaned everything up real good and made sure no other metal pieces were inside, put her back together. Just for the hell of it did a compression test- 25psi WHAT the F#ck! Did it with the exhaust on also-same reading. Just to make sure we tested my buddies mxz 600- 160psi. Think a seal is blown because the pistons, rings, everything else is fine.

Would a sled not start and backfire(every 10-15 pulls) if the seal was blown- cylinder to case gasket?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Your cyl gasket wouldn't cause low compression thou it would make it hard to start. How did you check the rings and pistons? thru the exhaust?   low compression on both sides is an oddity. Only thing I can suggest would be to check your head gasket to see if the machine is losing compression into the coolant. While pulling over or once it backfires have someone keep an eye on the coolant tank for bubbles. Pull the heads and check the rings. If they're good , go deeper.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Did tou pull the jugs off to look at the rings? Bad seal won't loose compression. Both sides the same? Lost a set of rings on a 00 700 on the dyno. Everything looked good til we pulled the jugs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Had the same problem with an old Formula SL.  The only way we could get it to fire at all was to put gas in the cylinder.  With that low of compression, it probably is having trouble pulling or sucking enough gas in to the crank.  Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the top end was ripped apart last night, the pistons and cylinders both looked very good. The rings were a little sticky. Went to the dealer and picked up new rings, gaskets, o-rings,etc. cleaned her up. put her all back together. We did a compression test- 155psi. so we have compression now and I think everything is good in the top. It still won't start, It just backfires-LOUD! The mechanic I talked to mentioned the center seal on the crank and the water pump seal causing it to backfire like that. Guess he'll find out this week, because I'm done F###ing with it, I'm takin' her in

·
Registered
221 Posts
Had something similar happen to me on a Honda 750Nighthawk after I dropped it once off its side stand. Damn thing would crank and backfire once in awhile. Check all the electrical I could with help from the sevice manual. Only thing could not check was the magneto itself. In the service manual it said the magneto was none servicable and non checkable. But if the bike had fallen over, chances were that the magneto had taken a hit and de-manetized itself. You can do this with almost any magnet by a sharp blow to it. The magneto still felt has though it had strong pull. Not wanting to spring for the cost of a new one, non-retunable, until I was sure, I took one off another bike and  the bike fired right up! Put my magneto on the other bike and it wouldn't start.
Is it possible when you removed your magneto it got a hit, changing its magnetic force lines? Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts