Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the Minneapolis, MN sled show in Nov 2002, and a guy from Maple Plain, MN was there from Duane Smith Canvasworks, Inc. selling a canvass-enclosed cover with 5yr warranty for sled trailers.  I think he as asking for 2 place 10 ft $800-$900?

I was wondering if any one here on the board knows of this company/product and what you think of it.  Please let me know, as I would prefer to get something reasonable in price to cover my sleds.  If I was going to pay $450 for a floe salt shield I might as well cough up a few more bucks and get this.

Cheers - Brazoo

·
Registered
739 Posts
You might want to check around. I know a place around here that will make an aluminum (10 ft. tilt) one for that price. i suppose it's personal preference but I'd guess the alum. one would last longer.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
brazoo,
 i was sledding this weekend and saw one of those myself for the first time i was impressed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul - by chance did you get to view it up close and check it over or just see it as it passed on by.  I want enclosed but not to spend a ton to get the sleds from all the salt and other road hazards.  Brazoo

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
brazoo,
 i should have looked better i was standing right beside it at a gas station while the owner of it was out riding and i didn't want to crawl all over it without the owner there. get a load of this i was helping old an old fellow that pumped his own fuel into his 580ish efi cat he grabbed the diesel nozzle.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
snow monkey,
 i felt real bad for him he told me he lost his wife awhile ago to a heart attack and i think he is still in mourning. i just remembered your cat won't run on gasoline maybe this old fellow could show us a trick or two. LOL

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
With the price of gas here in the last few weeks maybe he is on to something.Hmmmm if i advanced the timing about 40 degrees and got her real hot i thing she may just burn diesel
I'll make the first alternate fuel powered sled

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called them yesterday and the cost for a tilt was $998 for the kit and about $1000 for the drive off.  Add another $250-$300 and that is what they get for installed.  They suggested Floe, Sledbed and a third (?) trailer to use their product on.  They said triton rattles around to much.  Just more info if your interested.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I saw one this past weekend too.  Looked very nice.  It was also in sections, so you could buy an extra section if you got a bigger trailer.  Or you could take them off if you wanted.  And just have the front of the cover on.  Never talked to the guy that owned it, but I like it a lot.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Hey Paul, you reminded of something I saw last weekend at the pumps.  There was a group of guys huddling around a sled.  I went over to investigate and the guy put OIL in his ANTIFREEZE overflow tank!!!
 Now the logical thing to do would be to pull the hose from the overflow and let it drain, but these genuises CUT the hose and let it drain all over the engine and were then thinking of TAPEING it back together with ductape!!!haha  I couldn't believe it.  Some peoples kids!LOL

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
phazerhater,
 some of the people that do those dumb things are people responsible for some important issues and hold high positions. it just makes me wonder how they got to where they are.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
One of my uncles friends pumped gas into his brand new Ford F-350 powerstroke diesel!  He'll never live that one down!  Luckily he realized it before he took off and siphoned it out.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
when we discovered the old fellow pumped the diesel in we asked the service station attendant where we could siphon the diesel out and they have a tank where they put used oil in to be recycled around back. the old fellow got on his electric start and the sled quit almost as soon as it started, he shouldn't have done that start thing. we towed him.

·
Registered
308 Posts
okay here goes  The canvas cover for snowmobile trailers 1st  If you  go to a place where they make sidekits and tarps for flatbed trailers,  you should be able to adapt the system to your trailer it should work for a drive on or tilt  for the tilt you only have to roll the tarp to the front.
I go past a place that makes custom tarps and have to stop anyway to have him make one for my deck at the camper.  If you want I will ask him to price making one for a 10' tilt trailer. and what it would cost.  let me know if you are interested.  Come to think of it a friend of mine wants to enclose his and does not want to spend a lot or get a new trailer. so I will eventually find out the cost that way.  
now a little story about oil  years ago when you could buy antifreeze by the qt I stoped at a gas station one time and told the attendant I needed a qt of antifreeze and a qt of oil.  imagine my dismay when I happened to look out the window of the station and saw this idiot putting antifreeze in my engine instead of the radiator.   got a free oil change out of that one. and made them push the car in the shop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts