Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out today to go mess with my carbs again because its a little bit colder. When i screwed my air screws all the way in they went in different amounts. Heres some pics. Is this alright? Are they different sizes? Im not sure here so i need help. It looks like the left side is out more than the right.

Right

Left

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Not knowing if someone messed withthem in the past . I would just scerw them in and back both out a 1 1/2 turns out. Then run it and do a plug check , you want a cardboard brown color on your plugs or on the black side, Id go more blk right now since the real cold has'nt made it in yet. I like to run mine a little rich just to be safe.

You might find the factory settings in the vintage sec , Im sure there someone in there to get them set , but the norm been a 1 1/2 out.

mutt

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got a manual off the net, it says to start 2 1/2 out, you dont see anything wrong with them being at different positions when all the way in?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
take them out and compare them. one may be longer. if the same you may have corroded threads. if the same switch and see if it's the same way or changes. there should also be size numbers on them make sure their the same. keep track of which carb they came out of and put back in original carb.1 1/2 to 2 1/2 sounds the norm. you should be able to adjust from one to another and notice a engine tone difference. when you find that sweet spot leave it there. if it's over 2 1/2 that tells you you need to change pilot jet. 1 1/2 would be safe setting. i was looking at your pics. looks like your carbs are not level. may just be the pic. this would mess up your floats. i'd double check this also.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah. they arent level, i moved them so i could get to the screw easier, when u start it il move them back. But normally they are tilted back some. So if they are the same size and the threads arent corroded am i fine then? Obviously if they are different sizes i need to buy the right sizes, but if the threads are corroded do i need to buy a new carb?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
check the length first. then take the jet that is in the most and try in the other. if it doesn't go as far as it did in the other. you need to investigate why. one step at a time grass hopper. lol

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, got some weird data, i did a quick measurement and the left one is SHORTER than the right. I went to go back outside and work on it some more but it was snowing/sleeting and i didnt want to get water in the carbs. Ill get a better measurement tommorow. Heres a picture of the screws. There was no number on either of them.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i switched the screws, the left one fit into the right ok, and the right one fit into the left ok but there was some resistance the tighter it got but i did get it screwed all the way in. The screw on the right is 22.63mm long and the left one is 22.48mm long. Is this alright?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no, i checked that the threads are the same length, the picture is just messing with your eyes. And i put it in the other carb and it went all the way in so it cant be the threads.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
no, i checked that the threads are the same length, the picture is just messing with your eyes. And i put it in the other carb and it went all the way in so it cant be the threads.[/b]
Nick, I think you read it wrong. Tuned is saying from the top of the threads, were the threads stop/end, to the very top where you would put the screw driver is longer.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, im not too sure about that, should i measure from the tip to where the threads start? Im not sure if that is right because i switched them and when they were swicthed they both went in the same amount.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Personally if it was me and I had put that much time/work/money into the sled that you have this summer, I would go to the dealer and see what the stock one is/looks like. If he dont have any and they arent that expensive order one and compare to the ones you have and see which one is correct. On the other hand, you could also stay with what ya got, put them in and see if it runs correctly. I cant remember, was the sled running good last winter? If it was, I wouldnt worry to much about it. Screw them in till they bottom out and then turn them the correct amount out.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Nick,

Mark the tapered end of the screws with a black Sharpie then screw them in snugly. Remove them and observe whether the black mark has been touched by bottoming against the seat. If not, turn the screws in an additional 1/4 turn, remove and recheck. Repeat untill the black Sharpie marks begin to show a ring (contact). Now you've found the bottom. Sometimes the anti rotation springs are too long or foul inside the hole preveting the screw from fully seating. As said, 2 & 1/2 turns out should give you a reasonable idle. After that check the idle stop screws and throttle cable for hanging up the throttle slides. That motor should idle at 1800 - 2000 rpm warm.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, i may try that, to warm it up should i let it idle for like 10 mins? more, less?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
ok, i may try that, to warm it up should i let it idle for like 10 mins? more, less?[/b]
10 minutes should be fine, the idle should be settled down by then.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, i think i may just leave the screws switched around, sorry for all the questions, i know just abouit didly squat about carbs and i dont want them to be my problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts