Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I clean our carbs and all went well, but then not so well. Everthing went good all cleaned , reasembled just like normal. When they were done I fired them up and everything was good to go . A week later I was messing around and fired them up and one would not idle :cussing: . I narrowed it down to the pilot curcit so I just went and bought new jets(which il be doing every year now). So I tore back into them and re cleaned and re placed the jets. As I was into it I noticed something that was differant than the other sled which was fine .
The one carb had a bunch of dirt on the air box side of the carb throat, hmmmm. As I look into the air box there was a bunch of dryed dirt stuck to the walls. WELL THERE YOU GO it appears that the dirt broke loose during install the 1st time and got sucked in the carb. Im not sure if this was the total calprit but the other sled is fine and there was NO dirt on the carb flange on that one.

So to all the cleaner's out there , dont forget to wash your airboxes out . I wash ours w/ simple green and used a old sock. Spray the inside with the simple green and some hot water, drop the sock in and swish it around like a washmachine, rinse and dry. A 10 MIN JOB and no 2nd teardown to re clean :bash:.

If you notice there's holes in the bottom of your airbox for water to drain. When the water dries the dirt /dust drys and ends up building up , then it flakes off and gets suck in the carb.

It's funny I normally am real picky and trying to do things 100% , MY bad :bash: I over looked the airboxes :blush: .

BEWARE dont forget the BOX !
DIRTY[attachment=40996:100_1218.jpg][attachment=40998:100_1223.jpg]
CLEANED[attachment=40997:100_1219.jpg]

MUTT

P.S this was on a sled that had no pre filter, it does now . I would run prefilter on all sled boxes even if your not a powder hound.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
:lookaround: All good now !

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
:lookaround: All good now ![/b]
you hope. I might look for another mechanic if I was you. :lookaround:

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
you hope. I might look for another mechanic if I was you. :lookaround:[/b]
HeHe.....at least he can take apart the carbs twice which is more than I could doo.

Snow4

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you hope. I might look for another mechanic if I was you. :lookaround:[/b]
"HAY" NOW !! . Where all intitled to a oof every now and then :blush: . There all fine now , and you know what ?..Im getting pretty good at slipping those peskie coolant lines off :slick: .

ANOTHER TIP ON THIS...........
Check where the air box sits in place on the tunnel area. On a rev they sit right on the cross shaft and so do some other models. Look to see if it's been rubbing. On mine I have put some weather stripping there to lift it and cushion the box when I first cleand the carbs on that sled. What I notice was my air box was cleaner than snow4's which did not have it. I belive this keep the rubbing dust from the air box(and belt dust) from mixing with the water(injusted snow dust) and getting suck into the box , then making it's way to the carbs.
With it raised a bit I think it help supports the carbs from bouncing all over the place (boot fatige) and lets the water drip out . When it drips out and mixes with what ever drit is there it will just run down in the belly rather than the box slapping in the puddle and spashing back up inside the box.

mutt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts