Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to take the plunge and clean my carbs myself this fall. Was at the local WalMart looking around, and couldn't find any cleaner meant for 2 stroke engines or carbs. What works the best?

OH YEAH:
And how do you do it?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I just use regular old carb cleaner. Its not hard at all but I will live it to an expert to explain the process.
            Ryan

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
There is no such thing as a carb cleaner for 2 strokes.  There is only carb cleaner.  

Go and buy any type of carb cleaner in a spray can.

Disconnect all the fuel hoses going to the carbs and loosen the boot that holds it on the engine.  Slide the carb off the engine but dont pull it out of the sled, keep the throttle cable attached.  

Then spray the inside of the carb with cleaner well holding the throttle,  Spray a lot, let it drip out the other side.  

Then take a clean rag or shop towel and clean up, but dont go scrubbing the whole carb.  I would also say its not worth taking the carb apart but if its really that dirty you might have to.  I cant describe that only that you have to do it slow and remember how you took it apart.  

Then put the carb back in the boot and tighten the boot.  Make sure its tight.  

Then attach the fuel hoses and fire it up.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Rocketman, to clean your carbs properly you have to remove them from the engine, once you have them removed drain them of any fuel that may be in the bowls,  turn the carbs upside down on your work bench( kitchen table) remove the float bowls(4 screws)turn them right side up to remove float bowls so you don't drop the floats ( floats will stay in the bown on there gide pins, screw in the air screw counting how many time it take to lightly seat it usually 1.5 turns.
Now take your carb cleaner  or Intake cleaner for a F.I auto (perferd) and spray though main jet , pilot jet, air screw passage and every other hole you can find it's nice to have some compressed air avalible to blow though jets and passage's.
Holding carbs up right reinstall bowls(check bowl gasket )& air screw. thats about it now you can synchronize you carbs and you are good to go ! Just spraying cleaner down the throat of the carb is 1/10th of the job, it's the fuel and air way passages that you want to clean.
Good-luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
When you have your carbs all apart,try using a high quality brake cleaner, it cleans quicker, drys quicker, and leaves NO resadue.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm...will brake cleaner do the same job? Not to second guess you, but why would they have carb cleaner if you could use brake cleaner? Maybe brake cleaner as a final rinse?

·
Registered
120 Posts
carb cleaner/brake cleaner...I have used both on many differant applications...it is all metal right?

and to answer your question rocketman,they make two differant bottles to sell you two differant bottles!!
what was the differance between tranny fluid and power steering fluid on an older chevy??..nothing.. the PS fluid just cost more.

thanks for the reminder,I gotta clean my carbs

btw,I should mention that::yes their is a differance between brakleen and carb clean,you can spray carb clean into a running chevy BB,,not recommended to do this with brakleen.
but when it comes to cleaning things on the bench it really don't matter.

disclaimer:don't take my ramblings as the gospel

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
On the metal parts I've used lacquer thinner w/ good success.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Also, don't get any of the above cleaners on rubber parts, paint or stickers, it will eat through these items after time.  If you do get these cleaners on anything but metal be sure to clean it up right away.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
mr670 said it right.
I use brake cleaner.  Also use some Acetone, if you want to ensure you disolve any varnish.
If your going to do it, do it right, and take the carb apart and clean all the passages.

Once you do one, you won't hesitate again.  Not hard.  Just pay attention as you take it apart, so you can put it back together right.

FishHog

·
Registered
875 Posts
i called my dealer to check about their schedule for preseason checks.  they indicated that they start booking towards the end of October, and have found that cleaning carbs earlier than this may force another carb cleaning later especially if the trail don't open till January.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Use brake cleaner to clean your brakes, use carb cleaner to clean your carbs, I perfer intake cleaner or thottle body cleaner it does a better job then carb cleaner.
Rocketman if you don't have a repair manual you should get one, check your local library.
Don't forget to check the float levels.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got the 97 shop manual. Should be ok in that respect.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
count yourself lucky machzzzz1 ,I always take the carbs off and completely apart.when you don't clean your mains your asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (alscool @ Sep. 09, 2002, 10:45am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i called my dealer to check about their schedule for preseason checks.  they indicated that they start booking towards the end of October, and have found that cleaning carbs earlier than this may force another carb cleaning later especially if the trail don't open till January.[/b][/quote]
If you don't put any fuel in it until you are ready to run then there is no worry. The main concern in cleaning the carbs is to make sure you don't have any varnish particles stuck in any of the passages. Once they are clean just don't turn on the fuel until December or January if your that concerned. Just my two cents. Definetly worth the work rather than getting stuck on the trail because a half milimeter particle of varnish got stuck in a jet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts