Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it neccasary to clean the carbs every preseason if you run fuel stabilizer through the motor before putting it away for the summer?
I have never cleaned the carbs before and have had no problems, is this a blown motor waiting to happen?
If cleaning is nec. then any tips on doing this yourself?
Sleds are a 98 formula583, 00 MXZ 700 and a 02 MXZ700 with DPM.
Thanks.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I usually just run stabalized gas through for a while then drain them. I only take them apart if I have a problem, which I've only had the one year I didn't drain them. (damn alcohol in the gas!)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The problem is, you neve know if its necessary, until you have them ripped apart.

And to find out the hard way, wouldn't be any fun.

Really, it will only take you 1hr or so, once your good at it. If you have never worked with carbs, I would get someone to show you first.

FishHog

·
Registered
625 Posts
I do for the piece of mind, one piece of crud can cost you a motor or the "green" stuff on your main jet could restrict it and do the same. On my 2 sleds only one really needed it this year, and the one that needed it only got 100 miles more on it for the season, but the last load of gas must have had a little water in it, because corrosion was starting to form! You wont know until you look or have problems.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I unscrew the drain on the bottom of the float bowl. If its clean the rest of the carb is clean. Seen more than one green carb with stabalizer, not to impressed with the stuff personally.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
One hour of easy labor can save you 10 hours of labor down the road. Not to mention possibly loosing an engine in prime season and your sled is down for weeks. Think about it. ???

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
After I fog the motor in the spring, the carbs come apart & I clean the metal parts w/ lacquer thinner. I don't start the sled until I'm ready to take it north. Burn off the oil, smoke out the neighbours :D, put in a pair of new plugs & load it in the truck.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Pulled the wifes off the sled tonite, bad case of the green, does it usually build up anywhere else? Guess both tanks are going to get drained.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Totally off topic here but I was just wondering if Belleville MXZ bought his sled at Belleville Sport and lawn.We've bought a ton of sleds there over the years.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess I got myself a project this weekend. Better safe than sorry! Any tips on cleaning the Carbs?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Originally posted by oldyeller@Nov 28 2002, 12:45 AM
Totally off topic here but I was just wondering if Belleville MXZ bought his sled at Belleville Sport and lawn.We've bought a ton of sleds there over the years.
Cartronics actually, Bellevile sport didn't have anything at the time. Buy most of my stuff there though, Jimmy C is the best Tech there if you ever need anything, tell him I sent ya. Where you from??

·
Registered
799 Posts
Originally posted by bluebyyou@Nov 28 2002, 10:27 AM
Guess I got myself a project this weekend. Better safe than sorry! Any tips on cleaning the Carbs?
I've never done mine either; I'll have my '99 home again this Sunday to install the suspension coupler. Sounds like I should have a look at the carbs while I'm at it. If I need any parts, is that something that I would need to get from the dealer or is that something you could pick up at Canadian Tire or an auto parts store? It's hard for me to get stuff from the dealer, too far away. Or are carbs the same on different brands? There's a yamaha dealer near here.

I have no problem anymore ripping things apart on the sled, but I've never touched the engine other than to fog it; I guess there's only one way to learn!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Jacqui,

You probably won't need any parts, just give everything a good cleaning. You will see the gunk that collects in the carb bowls.

its not hard, just pay attention as you take things apart. And do one carb at a time, so you will have another to go by, if you forget where something goes.

One thing I always do, is count how many turn it takes to tighten a jet down. Then, once you are putting them back together, you can tighten all the way, and then back off the same count as before, so your not changing your settings.

FishHog

·
Registered
310 Posts
You guys who have never done it before.... Its really not that hard at all. Earlier this summer, I have never taken apart a sled, started from scratch w/ no help except the guys on here, took the carbs and everything apart. Tricky part is remebering how it goes back together ;) But cleaning the carbs is not too hard of a task. And should be done every year.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Jacqui, also, dont mix up the carbs. On most rotary valve motors one side is jetted richer than the other. I'm not sure off the top of my head which side (PTO or MAG) is the richer side.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The only problem w/ the paint dots is that carb cleaner will remove them. I engraved PTO (clutch side) & MAG (rewind side) on mine when I had them off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts