Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Exciter, sled has ran fine up until I removed the carbs to clean them. It wouldn't start after putting them back on. Come to find out I broke a wire that runs from carbs to what I believe is a carb switch (or is this called the TORS?), not sure on that one. I was told to disconnect the wires and run them together. This seemed to work, sled fired right up. But now, when riding it, it bogs down at top end. Is this because of the switch not being connected causing the fuel not to run through like it should? I also have a 1992 Exciter II that runs the same, when I got the sled, the switch was not connected as well, it has always bogged down at high rpms. So it seems as if the problem is with the switch since the 1989 ran perfect before I had to bypass this switch. Is this switch the TORS or carb switch or both? Any help on this would be greatly appriciated. I have been scratching my head on this one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what speed does it start bogging? are your spark plugs wet or black?[/b]

Between 30 to 35 mph

Plugs look black, one seems to be wet and the other is dry on the 1992, the 1989 plugs look black

Do you know what that switch is, is it needed?

·
Registered
41 Posts
ok, i have my tors bypassed to. so no. now when you took the carbs apart did u put the little black rubber plugs back in the same spot? im pretty sure we have the same carbs, i have a phazer. theres supose to be one on the pilot jet and one in the middle. your getting too much gas. . if thats not it i would check your choke cables

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, i have my tors bypassed to. so no. now when you took the carbs apart did u put the little black rubber plugs back in the same spot? im pretty sure we have the same carbs, i have a phazer. theres supose to be one on the pilot jet and one in the middle. your getting too much gas. . if thats not it i would check your choke cables[/b]
1989 the main jets located in the bottom of the bowl were not there when I purched sled. But sled always ran terrific up until I cleaned the carbs this last time and broke a wire on that switch.

1992 didn't have the jets located at bottom of bowl either, but has never ran well at top end. The wires were/are not connected to the switch, this is why I think it might have something to do with my problem.

The carbs are Mikuni carbs, VM-38 liquid cooled on both sleds.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can tell you this, there is a valve/switch to control the liquid cooling to the carbs. Have it set to closed so the coolant doesn't flow through there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts