Snowmobile World banner

Carb Vs. Efi

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  kasper400ex 
#1 ·
I need a sled ! I'm looking for a Zr 600 (98,99) but which one, the carb or the Efi? Which get better gas mileage and performance? I might get pipes. If I have a efi, how do I jet it? or do I have to chip it

#2 ·
This is easy ,E.F.I. ,then buy D.D`s single pipe chip comb ,with
the clucthing and go trailing with good power and mpg.The 99 zl
600 was a real good sled in this area,can`t say that about the `98
600.Look at clutch see what it need`s (spider etc),compression of sleds
fall of after 2000 + miles,and last throughly check rail`s see if bent.Cause
they do close to the rear of the sled.

#3 ·
Originally posted by gocat@Nov 20 2002, 02:41 AM
I need a sled ! I'm looking for a Zr 600 (98,99) but which one, the carb or the Efi? Which get better gas mileage and performance? I might get pips. If I have a efi, how do I jet it? or do I have to chip it
Carbed is better if you want to mess with it. EFI if you want to just ride it. The 500 ZR is just about as fast (top end) as the 600. I know, I have one. I would buy a 2000 or newer! Get the ZR3 chassis!

#18 ·
Love my 99 ZR 600 EFI I heard the 98's had some problems so I'd get a 99 or newer if I were you.
98 the stators always burned up but with a ricks stator from Dennis Kirk solves the problem.. only problem is you can’t mod them at all cause you can’t do anything go by with the ecu I think they have a chip and you can use a d&d can at best and still have to watch out so it don’t lean out from the computer not knowing what the pipes doing and allowing more exhaust gas out.. I blew my sled up doing the chip and can to learn that there is a computer from the zl600efi that has a designation wire so you can run the 10 percent ethanol gas and not only 91 and that helps with the power curve and fuel and what not and I’ve had no problem with doing so but honestly a clutch kit on one is plenty enough honestly unless you plan on climbing a mountain.. I’ve went everywhere my buddys mxzx440 with a 135 tack and 3 inch lugs and I have 1 inch lugs and go everywhere he does.. I work a little harder but who cares

#6 ·
i beleive there was a recall on 98 600's piston problems i believe?? with the 99's there was some problems with the clutchs diue to bad alloy....either way you cant go wrong...just make sure to check these pts on either one...efi is prolly ur best way to go if your not to mechicnally inclined... like previosouly mentioned make sure you get new chip if you do any pipe work..-INDY

G
#7 ·
Originally posted by caper711cc@Nov 19 2002, 09:58 PM
This is easy ,E.F.I.
Not exactly true. In 97-98 I bought a ZR6 carb and my budies cousin got the EFI. He was very unhappy when he could never woop me stock for stock. He had to do quite a bit to catch me on my stock carb ZR6. Not all EFI's are the best.

#8 ·
That depends on your definition of "best". If best means fastest, the carb would offer more options for improvment.
I think I remember hearing that the carbed version motors were putting out more hp during those years. Don't know if it was fact or not.

For me, a few less HP doesn't really mean that much. The decision depends on your expectations.

#10 ·
I really liked the EFI on my 580 Pantera BUT I started to worry about EFI related problems after I saw the cost on some of the parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuel injector..............$345.95 ea
Delivery pipe.............$382.95
Fuel regulator...........$228.95
Throttle Body............$879.95
Fuel Pump.................$427.95
ECU..........................$1266.95 (OUCH)

The total cost on all these parts is $600 more than what I paid for my 2000 Triple Touring in mint condition with 827 mi.

#11 ·
I agree with jdsmi, in the best case the carb will make more power. However for me being able to give my EFI 2 pulls on those mornings that range from +20 F to -10 F and go back inside for another cup of coffee (while my buddy has to baby, tune, dial, and otherwise tinker with his carb sled) makes all the difference in the world!

In addition I NEVER worry about my jetting being correct due to a temp change!

I don't care about altitiude and jetting!!

I think that the EFI is the "crispest" machine I've ridden. Period. End of Story.

Good luck

Maxwell

#12 ·
Snowride,

Have you heard of anyone replacing all those parts!? I did'nt think so. If they did, they were probably NOT in need of replacement, rather victim to poor trouble shooting and mechanics.

Maxwell

#14 ·
the way you are talking I would go with carbs. It is a lot easier to modify carbs and cheaper. I have a 98 zr600 with reeds, gutted airbox, carb boots from a zr 440 for better flow, advanced timing, clutching, and the thing is reliable and fast. Only problem on the 600 is the motor mounts breaking. Too much hammer down.

#15 ·
Just my 0.02$ but if your going to trail ride... get the EFI
I had carbs before, what a pain. I never had one problem with my 97 ZR580... starts second pull every time. The only problem I had, was a rubbing coolant line.

BUT... if your into racing.... want to get your hands dirt and changing jets on the side of the trail... carbs for you!

Good luck :thumbsup:

#16 ·
No I never had to change any. My point was "IF" something goes wrong, it's big bucks to fix. It was my dealer who warned me about these parts after a few of his customers were upset because of the bill (they had problems with the ecu). The original question was carbs or EFI. on an older machine I would say go with the carbs.

#17 ·
I have about 1100 miles on mine now and have had no problems other then melting snow though the hood holes making my plugs arc through the boots the head. I have yet to change the plugs eithor. Still nice and clean. All I do is go out, pull twice if cold, once if warm, then go put my gear on. No worries, allways starts,never has hot days then sluggish days cause jettings off, low idle to full throttle snap = no bogging just a nice wheelie and trench in the grass. I would get a 99 or 00 and up. I would sell my vette before my sled!