Snowmobile World banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a preferred carbide for the Pilot ski? I was wondering whether to go w/ a spare pair of BRP or aftermarket ones. I'll be @ the Royal no tax sale after the show on Saturday and probably will pick up a pair.

In the past I've used Woody's & the BRP stuff on Precision & Flexi skis w/o any major concerns. Just thought I'd pick your brains.

I'm not looking for a super agressive profile.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Me too!

I'll probably pick them up in Novi... probably looking for 6", although I was completely happy with the stock 4" carbides. Love the Pilot skis compared to the Precisions.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I went with Studboy Shaper Bars with 6" carbides on both centre and outside.
You could go with the 4.5" or a combination of those. Or even the stockers on the outside edge.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
I don't think that they need to be any more aggressive than they are for me. I really prefer a front end that feels light. I ran Shapers on my precisions, but I just think that they would dig too much on the Pilots. Might have to try them.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About the Shapers, how is the cross section after the host bar starts to wear? I've seen round host bar carbides that have a lot of miles on them. The carbides are OK, but a lot of the host bar is worn away. Is the narrow part of a Shaper the same "thickness" as the diameter on a conventional carbide. If the Shaper is narrower, then after the thicker width beside the inserts is worn away, you've got less host bar supporting the inserts.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Hey Kris.
USI is selling 4.5," 6" and 7.5" Shapers at the show at some great prices.
Too bad I already bought mine.
They suggest that on the Pilots, to run a Shaper on the centre and whatever you want on the outside as he felt that there wasn't enough downforce on the outside runner to make enough of a difference. I'll guess I prove him right or wrong this winter. lol

Good luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Kris
Check out the Royal ad the way I read it ,it says better than no tax and they will give you 20% off your next purchase.(in the form of a Royal Card)
I think it is a crock of sh----t becuase I would rather have no tax now but maybe I am reading it wrong.

Doug

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doug:

Jr. & I went up & got the tax off @ the new store. BTW, I'm pretty sure you've read it right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts