Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my ignorance. I've been rebuilding my engine this summer (as you may have seen the pics back in July) and as I work I've been looking for other parts to change to help boost power. A couple things I am considering are new reeds and K&N filters. I came across a carburetor compensator in a royal distributing cateloge on page 245. My question is would adding a compensator eliminate the need for me to rejet my carbs for the new reeds and filters? If I still have to rejet I know I watch for piston wash and read the plugs, but how long do you need to run the engine before you get an accurate reading from the pistons and plugs?

·
Registered
903 Posts
A compensator will compensate for HIGHER air temp and elevation. For example you jet for your lowest temp and altitude and it adjusts for you as needed as a leaner mixture is needed. They are really good products (Holtzman's atleast). I hear the Dial-a-jet is a little hard to get set up.

You still would need to rejet for a base WITH your mods in mind.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
do NOT go K&N filters

I do not think you have to rejet that engine once you got its baseline

It is not a peaky little 440 or a 600triple triple with no valves

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
As mentioned the Holtsman "tempaflow" works awsome you can get one for about 150 bucks.
Whatever you do leave the stock box on maybe gut it but leave it on so you can benifit the cold outside air instead of hot underhood air.
Doing either of the above is no big HP gain just improvments. Talk to Dynamoe Joe about a clutch kit and it will really wake her up, gear it down some also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts