Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to purchase a truck soon. most reason for pick is because I can carry a sled in the back. Just was looking and figuring out the allowed length allowed to hang past your tail gate?

Going to purchase most likely a newer truck.
Any brand you get Long box compared to short box is like 8000 difference.

So I was trying to figure out a sled is roughly 9ft and change..

Box is 6ft W/ Tailgate Roughly 8. so the sled track will be hanging rough 1-2ft off the tailgate..
Anyone know what the allowed length is?

thanks

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
4' behind the furthest point of the truck OR trailer needs to be flagged , if your within that your fine as far as the law is concerned . in REALITY that would be a lot of weight hanging on 2 little cables . I`ve done it but it doesnt look kosher in a short box and longtrack . jmho . M

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
:lmao: Mine doesnt hang over at all :lmao: And i think i have a short bed truck.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I have a six foot bed on my truck. And with the tail gate down, A sled hangs out just about a foot. What I would like to know is, how some people put there sled in the bed of there truck with the tail gate UP. And the sled is sitting on top of the tail gate. :confused:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have a six foot bed on my truck. And with the tail gate down, A sled hangs out just about a foot. What I would like to know is, how some people put there sled in the bed of there truck with the tail gate UP. :confused:[/b]

"we" have really short tracks and really small sleds. Actually, i cant close the tailgate but i dont hang over.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I have a six foot bed on my truck. And with the tail gate down, A sled hangs out just about a foot. What I would like to know is, how some people put there sled in the bed of there truck with the tail gate UP. And the sled is sitting on top of the tail gate. :confused:[/b]
Hey Butch, they put the sled in the truck with the tailgate down and then when the sled is in the truck they put the tailgate up.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the back end of a sled is barely even anything..

I wont be purchasing a long tracked sled .so thats all good

Ive seen those little cables carry a good amount of weight.

upwards of about 400-500lbs

thats good tho.save some money on a 6ft bed and get 4doors ..

thanks guys

·
Registered
293 Posts
I put my RS Venture in the back of my short box CHev, it hangs out alot but I put a 2 by 4 at the end of my box just before the tail gate to heep some weight off of the tail gate...No problems...One thing is for sure my wheels don't spin.....

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Well the back end of a sled is barely even anything..

I wont be purchasing a long tracked sled .so thats all good

Ive seen those little cables carry a good amount of weight.

upwards of about 400-500lbs
thats good tho.save some money on a 6ft bed and get 4doors ..
thanks guys[/b]
Even w/o the breakage problem on the GM pickups, I wouldn't trust the cables. After I broke 1 on my 2000, I made up some proper hinges.

Click

W/ a 8' box a ZX 'doo sticks out about 6" past the end of the box floor, not a lot of weight on the tailgate. Mind you I wouldn't want the tailgate bouncing up & down if you were on a rough road.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I used to carry my 96' ZR in the bed of my S-10 and sled had to go in backwards. It's not as hard as it sounds....

I can't see you having any problem with any full sized truck and a short-tracked sled. One thing's for sure- you will get tired of doing this everytime you go ride and it's much worse when you have a couple extra hundred pounds of snow and ice onthe sled at the end of the ride......and you're tired too..

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
so, another question that i have is how do you get the sled up on the bed??? Since i also will be putting mine in the back of a truck.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
:lmao: Nice snofrog. I know for a fact that i cant heave how mine up by myself. Looks like im makin' ramps. And mine only has one gear- forward!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
you just have to heavhoo it, or you could get some ramps,but if your sled don't have reverse you will still have to heavhoo it out lol.[/b]
Lmao ! On the count of 3.. Heeeeev.........Hooooooooo !

Snow4

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Sorry did not feel like reading all the response at the moment

but here is my 2 cents

if you are planning on having a sled in the box and on the tailgate

here is a suggestion I have seen

take a 4x8 sheet on plywood with 2x2 framed under

place it over the portion of the tailgate so not all of the weight of the sled is on the tailgate

plus you can use this as a ramp if no snowbanks are around

drive onto the platform and lift and push into the box

and yes it sucks when tailgate cables bust,had that happen to me on a Ranger,luckily I was not hurt,I went tostep on the taigate to get something in the box and one side cable snapped

1 - 20 of 25 Posts