Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew a way to carry extra oil on their sled (ie 1 gallon). I am familiar with the oil caddy that can hold 1 litre but I was curious if anyone knew of a way to carry even more. I have a lenghty trip planned and sometimes oil is not available everywhere.

I drive a rev and will be loaded already with the Jerry can for fuel, and saddle bags. I have thought of putting oil in my backpack, but that is fairly heavy and bulky which may make for some uncomfortable lengthy days on the trail.

Any advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
644 Posts
There is a tremendous disadvantage to hauling extra weight on a snowmachine, especially when you load it way back on the machine. An extra 50 pounds centered over the suspension is bad enough; way in back is asking for trouble. Anytime I carry an extra jug of gas, I always tow a sled. Towing the sled is much, much easier on the machine than loading the rig down. It also is less noticeable in terms of how it affects handling. If you're going to load the machine down, make sure you also bring some tools and extra springs.

Here's one of my sleds:

(A basket type is pictured in the Pol section on carrrying extra oil.)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
63 you can care the weight easy on the back. one gallon of oil is not even close to the 3 gallon gas tank ive put on the back before. thats why they make things for tunnels, to put stuff in. all you need to do them is crank up the rear springs on click and adjust the shocks to a high click if you have clickers

·
Registered
644 Posts
:D I don't and wouldn't do whoops at 60 either way. If I did, I'd still prefer to have the extra 30 pounds not on the machine. Of course, if you only got 140 pounds of bones riding on your machine, you may not notice the extra weight so much.

Nevis, Hauling a single gallon is no big deal of course. When you start also hauling gas, it is. Five gallons doesn't seem like much until it stick it way out in back. Sure they make racks for hauling, but I've BTDT enough times to know better by now. The rigs I run which do have that provision mostly haul only a few pounds. A sled really is a much better way to haul stuff if it's well designed and built - and you have a proper hitch on the machine.

(Those who only recreate on their rigs might be surprised at how much work these machines can do. A thousand pounds in tow is doable quite readily. It is pretty common for us to run 100 miles or more between gas possibilities. That means we need to carry fuel for at least 200 miles of travel, between the machine and the sled, in many cases. Normally, I'll bring at least 10-12 gallons of gas along when I go somewhere. With a good sled, that kind of load is so minimal, one needs to check occasionally to make sure the sled is still there - and we aren't even running the high HP machines.)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jason, unfortunately I do not have the option of the Renegade tunnel with the extra length. I have the combo saddlebags which may be filled with clothing.

A sleigh really would not work as we will be hoping to make fairly good time and none of us are equipped with hitches.

As for the extra weight, we will be gone for a week so we are willing to make some sacrafices. (The doo jerry can does work really well though springs up one notch and you barely notice it)

I think I will just be trying to bungee cord whatever gallon container works best to my ski-doo jerry can if that fails there is always duct tape...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Jason, unfortunately I do not have the option of the Renegade tunnel with the extra length. I have the combo saddlebags which may be filled with clothing.

A sleigh really would not work as we will be hoping to make fairly good time and none of us are equipped with hitches.

As for the extra weight, we will be gone for a week so we are willing to make some sacrafices. (The doo jerry can does work really well though springs up one notch and you barely notice it)

I think I will just be trying to bungee cord whatever gallon container works best to my ski-doo jerry can if that fails there is always duct tape...[/b]
Your situation seems the same as mine: two day run, don't want to use oil other than what you have (not all places sell it along the way), nowhere to carry it, want to make as much time as possible, high hp means can't go slow enough to tow a sled over moguls anyway.

I think I'll try the backpack idea. I used to carry 30lbs on my back anyway, I'm beefed up a lot more since then. It shouldn't be too bad, and I'll be carrying less oil on the way back. At least my old touring sled could haul 10gallons of gas onboard aside from the gas tank, this one can only carry about 2 gallons aside the gas tank, and I need to bring just a little bit more than just the oil I plan on carrying, lol. No, I'm not using the gas tank as storage, I was just verifying that when I said I could carry 10gallons of gas, it was not including the tank, lol.

My only problem now is, we just got a downpour of rain and +6*C, so half the snow melted, and has become unstable. The trails are rough because of this, and there's no snow in the forecast until the end of next week, and it's only supposed to be 1cm or so. I may not be able to complete my run this year at all. :(

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
going back on 63 20 pound is nothing if you consider how many pounds of gas you have in your tank from full to empty. guys a gallon of oil only weight 10 pound, i carry 40 pound worth of books in the backpack every other day, i road once will at least 30 pound worth of stuff in my bag and had no problem. a sled can handle the wieght easly, take a 150 pound guy and a 300 pound guy, they both can ride the same sled with the same performance you just need suspension adjustments.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The extra weight is not the problem as much as where. Hanging 5 gallons on a rack that sits out of the end of the track is much, much different than putting the same weight or even more centered over the skid. I could care less what anyone does, whether it mean carry it in a backpack, beef up the suspension, or simply replace parts as they break. It ain't my problem. All I'm saying is, I've done it various ways; a sled is, IMO, the only way, especially on an extended trip. Perhaps the biggest problem for many folks is finding a decent sled. Judging by the factory hitches many machines come with or are accessorized with, most sleds aren't what I'd use anyway. The right sled will handle whatever a machine can dish out though.

Having run 400 miles in less than 36 hours (with three caribou on board for half of that) as well as over 600 miles in 48 hours on another occasion, I do I have a somewhat informed opinion on this. (Oh, and none of that involved even a mile of groomed trail.)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
you see the problem between what you are talking about with a pull behind sled and most of use is we are high speed trail riding, ditch riding, jumping, carving in deep snow, the pull behind does not work for this, it takes the fun out of it. there is much better ways of caring things in these apliactions like a backpack or tunnel bag.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Understand that scenario. I'm not quite picturing it that way which is why - thinking more a trail deal. Anyway, gotta do what works I guess.

Where the heck is Nevis anyway? The name is familiar from miles traveled in MN, but I don't remember if it was a sign along I-35 or if it was a little ville up toward Bemidji....care to enlighten?

You guys getting snow now? We've just had a crazy week of thawing and wind - snow gone! Glad I still have a fan running - should be lots of hard and icy trails for awhile.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Why bother carrying extra oil? Fill tank up before you ride for the day.

How many miles are you riding in a day? I've done 350 mile days when I had a 04.5 Gade X 600HO SDI, and there was still probably a quart left in the tank at the end of the day..

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Understand that scenario. I'm not quite picturing it that way which is why - thinking more a trail deal. Anyway, gotta do what works I guess.

Where the heck is Nevis anyway? The name is familiar from miles traveled in MN, but I don't remember if it was a sign along I-35 or if it was a little ville up toward Bemidji....care to enlighten?

You guys getting snow now? We've just had a crazy week of thawing and wind - snow gone! Glad I still have a fan running - should be lots of hard and icy trails for awhile.[/b]
well nevis is right buy park rapids, mn is a summer tourist area mostly. lots of family owned resorts and a tone of lakes. my parents have a ranch there and usaully every weekend we are up there but there is no snow there this winter, it sucks. i ve been driving around in the northern metro area by where i live now because there is some snow here. here is a pic of the ranch and a map to show where nevis is.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searc...mn&zipcode=
http://www.straitrail.com/index.html

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why bother carrying extra oil? Fill tank up before you ride for the day.

How many miles are you riding in a day? I've done 350 mile days when I had a 04.5 Gade X 600HO SDI, and there was still probably a quart left in the tank at the end of the day..[/b]
Mach

The reason I am looking to carry oil is due to the fact that we may be doing a few 300 mile days on trails we have never traveled before and will be staying at a different place every night, therefore I have no home base to store oil, supplies, chicken wings, beer etc... (beer is for when the day is done)

I figure I can get 300 miles minimum to a fill (safe estimate thought machine is running a tad rich). Unfortunately not all places cary the oil I use. I am currently using Doo mineral but not all service station stock it. I am not opposed to putting in some sort of different oil if I am in a bind, but would just prefer to run what is recommended.

I think I should be more concerned about installing a heater on my sled. -40 this morning and I am leaving tomorrow. Looks like this cold snap is here for a few days.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I keep 2 coke bottles in my seat, one with oil and one with anti freeze and just put a strip of duct tape around the lids to make sure they dont come loose, that way I have the tape if needed too. They dont take up no room and the weight is neg so...works for me anyway.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Good luck on your journey, hope it goes safe and well!

My trip (if I get to go on it) is 500-600 miles. One fill-up of oil won't cut it either, lol.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
A gallon will fit in.... and still room for your jerry can!

Its a Snobunje Bag or find something Similar! Problem solved!!! :thumbsup:[/b]

Do you have any pics of that bag with your jerry can in place?
My son is thinking of one of those but is curious about how well it fits behind the can.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts