Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyones opinion on Castrol super snowmobile oil? Good? Bad?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
It's good if you're running a non-exhaust valve equipped motor. If you are running a motor w/ EVs, the non-synthetic oil will gum them up. It's the same oil as the 'doo conventional oil.

If price isn't a factor, run Amsoil. I've run it 2 years w/ no problems. If you need to find someone who sells it, a friend in Bowmanville does & I'll give you his number.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I only use regular Castral oil and I really like it. No complaints. Been using it steady in my mxz and I compared my valves to another sled that uses amsoil and we were carboned up the same amound. All together I probally logged on nine thousand miles using this oil and not once had a engine poblem.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
I have run the Castrol in my 96 MXZ583 for 3 years now with no problems. Now I got a new sled and just wanted to make sure. The price sure is right! $30Canadian for 12 litres at Costco! How much is Amsoil?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I used Castrol in all most of previous sleds which were polaris with no trouble and lots of miles, but since i bought my doo i have been using Ski doo Synthetic oil.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I wouldn't say good or bad.

Alright is more like it.

I'm still an Amsoil fan though.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yup, well said fishhog. All oils are good, but some are better. Amsoil is the best choice.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I was using Doo regular oil but just swiched to castrol. Heard castrol makes doo oil. The only difference is that they add colour to the castrol. Waaay cheaper :sly: It looks like gas is going to be expensive this winter so I gotta save somewhere ???

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used Doo Synthetic for about 1000 miles and then Castrol for another 1000 - makes no difference the valves looked the same (I cleaned them after 1000).
I would use Castrol and blow the savings on Vforce reeds

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by doorider@Oct 23 2002, 03:51 PM
I used Doo Synthetic for about 1000 miles and then Castrol for another 1000 - makes no difference the valves looked the same (I cleaned them after 1000).
I would use Castrol and blow the savings on Vforce reeds
WHAT KIND OF castrol OIL DO YOU USE??
I OWN A thundercat 1000 M/C WHICH I BOUGHT THIS YEAR SO MY expirience I VERY SMALL. I USE CASTROL TTS FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL FOR MOTORCYCLE AND I don't KNOW IF IT WILL DAMAGE THE ENGINE.

·
10,054 Posts
Originally posted by Machzzzz1@Oct 23 2002, 03:06 PM
Yup, well said fishhog. All oils are good, but some are better. Amsoil is the best choice.
:withstupid:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I use Castrol in my 583 with rave the past 2 seasons

The valves are clean

They are cleaner now then when I used Shell Advance(1st season)

I say Castrol is a good oil IMO :thumbsup:

T-Cat are you using 4stroke oil in your sled????

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by charlo@Oct 23 2002, 03:12 PM
I was using Doo regular oil but just swiched to castrol. Heard castrol makes doo oil. The only difference is that they add colour to the castrol. Waaay cheaper :sly: It looks like gas is going to be expensive this winter so I gotta save somewhere ???
Castrol does make the doo mineral oil.Does that mean that the bombi oil is exactly the same as the Castrol blend without the blue colouring?Nobody has ever been able to answer that one for me.There can be very subtle differences in oils that may or may not make a big difference depending on how your sled is stored,driven what type of cooling system it has etc.I have had awesome luck with the bombi mineral oil.It doesn't guck up the rave valves,foul plugs and I have never had an oil related failure of any kind.The castrol oil is much cheaper.I wish I knew for sure if its the "exact" same oil or not.Right now I'm not willing to take the gamble when I "know" the bombi stuff works good.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Around here, VT, NH, ME, some of the advantages are that you can find it at every gas station, they never carry ski-doo oil. When I ran low on my last trip I had to run Castrol to get me home, and I did notice that it did have a little stronger odor to it too, if that is something that bothers you. I was unaware that they made the ski-doo oil. That is something I will have to look into, because there is definitely a price difference. Make sure to do PM on your Rave valves every year and you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
We tends to run Castrol too,as night rider said above,you can get it everywhere and I like to be consistent in what I use.
I've used it in my Indy 500 for over a year and never fouled a plug yet. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts