Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law has a nice new 900 cat home in his garage. My 2003 mach z is to arrive anytime. His is stock with the exception of studs . I plan to run mine first with no studs. If there is to much track spin I'll stud.My question is "how many feet will it take to reel in this green cat"?The weight difference between he and I is 40 lbs.I'm heavier.Thanks and all opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I hate to say it, being a Ski-Doo rider, but you will be looking at his snowflap for a long time unless you do some mods. Good luck, and let us know how the race went. I know there will be other comments on this as well, but let us know for sure. I hope you win, but don't hold your breath! LOL...

·
Registered
978 Posts
You should get some running by yourself first to break in the mach your
timming is retarded by 3 degrees for the first 4 hrs of operation. Then the chip should burn out to reset the timming curve, then look out cat!!!
(should clean his clock!!)

·
Registered
316 Posts
After the motor is broken in, you should be able to dust him. Not by a lot, but still show him the flap. First off, I raced for two years without studs and did very well on the lakes. You need to negate his superior traction. I suggest starting at 30 mph side by side and then you both hammer the throttle on hardpack snow. This will allow you to really see the difference in the motors and not just his stud advantage. Also, make sure your hitting 8000 and holding it on the tachometer. If your going above that say 8200rpm, then drop your clickers to a lower number and you will feel it accelerate much harder. Your single biggest problem is too much horsepower and not enough traction. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
-out of the hole the 900 should take you by a decent margin
-down track you'll inch up and pass
-running start, you should have the advantage but those 9's do pull well for a big twin.
-enjoy!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I hate to say this as well but this is my situation:

I set up many sleds in the area, I am a doo man but we are sponsered by both cat and doo. We race durring the winter for fun. The cat would take the mach in almost any surface except fluffy snow. The mach would beat it badly then.

The reason is this: clutching efeciency at 7200 VS 8000 is about %10. This means the mach must produce 165hp to match the same track hp.

All things being equal the cat will get him from the beginning.

GLH

·
Registered
233 Posts
GLH is right on. Clutch efficiency is a big factor. My money would be on the cat start to finish. Did I just say that?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
first off what year is the thunder?... if your running on snow u should beat him from bottom to top ...ps dont worry about break in time to much.lol my first run on my 2000 machz was on a lake against a 900,2x1000`s,zrt800,xcr8 and the chicken rocked them all with 3km on it...........lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
its going to depend on hole shot and lenth of race i nave a 925 cat (800 big bore) and my buddy has a clutched 900 zr that i picked up from cat last winter i we run on asphalt and its not close. when i run my buddies mach z he is alot closer than the 900 zr . and the only thing done to it is the jetting.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
You will have a major traction problem if you dont stud. The Mach will spin and spin all day long.

Now once you get your machine, Put about 750km on it before you touch anything, then stud it and jet it but keep it just a little on the safe side.

Now if both sleds do a 30mph start side by side its Mach all the way.

If you start from a stand still you will catch him in probably 130 feet.

And hey Nice purchess. You will love the Mach, It is the most dangerous sled on snow and will not just beat but kill anything that makes noise.

Even though 100s of people think there XCR, SRX, TCAT, ZR, RX-1, MXZ, TUDRA R or any other sled they think can beat you, They know deep inside that when there lined up beside a Mach Z that there in for the race of there life, especially if the race is 1000 feet plus.

·
Registered
677 Posts
i agree with machzzzz1.....a properly set up mach will absolutly crush anything it comes across.if studding isn't something you want to do then i highly suggest you put a 1.25 track on it,with this you can get that cat in the deep stuff and walk away.the mach just plain spins to much,all that power and no traction.aii you need to do is get that thing to hook up and it's all over for the cat's.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by Machzzzz1@Oct 27 2002, 12:48 PM
You will have a major traction problem if you dont stud.  The Mach will spin and spin all day long.

I too will back this statement. I've ridden a mZ studless, reading 108 on the speedo (m-10=slow!) but clocked 86 on radar, run after run down a 1/6 mile-or-so driveway.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Seriously if your pinned on the mach. It never really stops spinning till your over 170km. Nuts...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys thanks for the replies. Here are the results.The zr 900 had nothing on the bottom end and nothing on the top end for the machz. The zr was only pulling 7000 rpm so I know my brother in law can get it to put on a better showing. The mach had trouble with a firecat 700. The fire cat jumped out of the hole first by a sled length and held that lead for 500 '. The mach needed more of a race track. The 900 didn't race here.Any questions feel free to reply. We all had fun and the races were all done at safe places. p.s. I love my sleds power, ride, handling,and gas milage.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Traction is what will make or break the Mach. I'd set up with a deep lug track and pick it.

The Mach needs a better Chassis. To heavy and little traction.

·
Registered
361 Posts
We had some fun runs on Porcupine lake yesterday afternoon, and there were alot of sleds ('03 MachZ, ZR900,'01XCR800, '01,'00 SRX 700, T-Cat 1000, REV800, RX1's, F7, '02 XC700, Summit 700's, MXZ800 & 600H.O., & a few others). I'll mention about my only good run of the day (cause I'm writing the post :D ). We had a huge line up for a drag race (all above sleds and others), and off takeof, I jumped out in front with my buddies' Summit 670 h.o. right beside me for about 150', then I still stayed in front to about 600-700' until I saw a wall of sleds running me down, but that '03 MachZ (all stock), blew by me like I let off the gas, then he was followed by the ZR900 and the rest of the pack. From 80mph +, I was getting smoked, and had to let off, cause all I saw was snow dust. I'll be fixing my top end problem by next ride (clutching). Anyhow, I did see some other drag runs and the ZR900 ran ahead of the other sleds for about 700-800', then the MachZ ran it down and slowly pulled away.
We also had a few radar runs: '03MachZ-115mph, '01XCR800-109mph, '01SRX700-106, F7-105, REV800-101, RX1-101, '01MXZ800-97, My Mach 1-95 (clutching and low revs. problem- that's my excuse :( ).
Those are the results for yesterday, but the point here was, we were all impressed with the midrange and top end of that MachZ. SWRules

·
Registered
319 Posts
limskii what kind of setup where you running dont you have pipes on your mach and how long was the radar runs

·
Registered
361 Posts
mach1, I use to have Jaws pipes up 'til last winter, but sold them and now run my stock pipes and a B&B muffler as I wanted to make my sled more of a trail/lake runner instead of always a high reving drag/lake runner, as the high rpm's are harder on all rotating parts, cranks, & belts. I did however love the midrange to top end with the Jaws setup and the 20lbs. lighter weight in the front. I still have a strong motor, as it is trail ported, heads shaved, and I use V-Force II's, but now make my power at 8300rpm instead of 9000-9100rpm. My problem yesterday, I believe, is that earlier this week I had a very strong setup that I tried in my spare clutch, but then switched the whole setup into my good clutch this week as my spare has many hairline cracks on both sheeves and I don't trust it for trail riding, only testing. The problem is that I didn't test the setup in the new clutch 'til I got on the lake yesterday. What happened is in this clutch, the setup really lugs the motor and I couldn't get my revs.(max. 7800-7900 and I need 8300), so I clicked up from #4 then up to#6 and even tightened the secondary to 23lbs. but still only pulled 8100-8200 max. but it took a while to get it. I believe the difference between both clutches is my spare has very smooth sheave surfaces whereas my good clutch is scuffed with emery cloth and is rougher which I think is grabbing the belt much more. I'm heading into the garage now to make some changes, and I'll definitely get it running strong again before the weekend.
See Ya ! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts