Snowmobile World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suzuki happens to be a rather large shareholder of Arctic Cat.

Suzuki is big in Japan and are know for there small engines and microcars.  A good example is the engine in the new 4-Stroke sled from Arctic Cat.  This engine comes from a production automobile in Japan...  How much do you think Arctic-Cat spent in developing this engine, now compare that to building an engine from ground up.  Another good example is the new yammy 4-stroke engine, this one came from a motorbike.

Here's a thought!  Blade Sleds use polaris engines, why doesn't blade make there own engine?

newf

·
Registered
413 Posts
Leave it to those that know best!  That's what I usually say.  Cat is good at making sleds and Suzuki is good at making engines.  Together they are an happy couple.  Cat tells Suzuki what specs they need, and suzuki comes up with it.  They share the profits.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Blade Sleds use polaris engines, why doesn't blade make there own engine?
[/b][/quote]

Fast Inc. is a small company with limited resources.  It's a heck of a lot easier to buy an engine than build one.  And they've got a good relationship with Polaris, trading engines for M-10s and stuff.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">suzuki make a sled with their own engine[/b][/quote]

They used to.  Don't you remember that silver and orange sled your dad had when you were a 1 year old?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Heard a rumor from a reliable source that the blades are going to phase out Polaris engines and start using S&S more in the next few years.

I was looking in the new Snow Goer and they had a write up on the new Venom. There is NO gear reduction unit at all. The Driven Clutch is mounted straight to the drive shaft. No weight of the chain case or power loss through the gear reduction!! This thing should be a very impressive sled.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i was just thinking about it and i was wondering why cat dosent make their own engine for the sleds but they use the suzuki engine so why dosent suzuki make a sled with their own engine?  this may sound dumb to some of you guys but i just dont know so i thought i would ask  thanks for the info

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Cats setup is working for them. I would say they are getting a lot of engine R&D for a bargain. It lets them concentrate more on the sled and less on something that suzuki knows about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts